We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose the right place to stay.

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield,Ca
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help me choose the right place to stay.

Will be traveling to RM 01/14/2012 through 01/22/2012. I'm not really too sure if to stay in PDC or Tulum. Husband and I only. We don't plan on renting a car and will be mostly using ado or collectivo to get around. Things that we would like to do...

Ranco Baaxal-horseback riding.

Xcaret

Tulum ruins

akumal

chichenitza

Cenotes

Cozumal

places We've considered staying would be Villa geminis in Tulum and Hotel Luna sur and Villa Del Mar in PDC. Any info as to what would be our best option would be great. Thanks .

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

Stay in Tulum. look at the hotels on the beach. Add a visit to Sian Ka'an biosphere to your lst.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

Due to the heat and humidity, your agenda may be a little too much. It is January, but you won't believe how seductive and relaxing it is to just lay on the beach and look at that beautiful aqua blue sea. All the stress will start going away. If this is your first trip then it might be about the 4th day you will get antsy to do an excursion. Tulum Ruins can be combined with snorkeling with the turtles in Akumal Bay, highly recommended. Chichen Itza is an all day excursion, it's a long way away. Xcaret is also an all day excursion, the night time show is not to be missed and that doesn't get over until about 9 PM.

Staying on the Tulum beach is very relaxing and very quiet, very quiet. Staying in or near Playa you have the choice of quiet relaxing time or walking into Playa at night and enjoying all the street entertainment and excitement that a larger city has to offer. Playa is a good base to operate from. If I need serious R&R then Tulum. If I want a lot more, than Playa del Carmen is the place to be.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

Look at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal - it's our favorite spot because of the natural beauty and the beach and the staff. A 5 min taxi to PDC and the Cozumel ferry. Can't recommend this resort enough for the jungle and the service. Food is good and the beach is very nice.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

There is no comparison between an AI in Playacar and staying in Tulum, totally different vacation styles :)

If you don't need the A/C and tv offered at the condo in town, stay on the beach! Can't beat the view out the front door anywhere:

http://coloradowanderer.shutterfly.com/95

That's the beauty of Tulum! Nearby taquerias, gorgeous beaches free of multi-story buildings and hundreds of chairs and people, fabulous authentic dining with Chef Claudia at Cetli, close to Mayan sites of Coba and Tulum, etc (if you can drag yourself away from the beach)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19935-Tulum_Be…

http://coloradowanderer.shutterfly.com/79

I would suggest getting all the info for Akumal and cenotes in the area>>>check out the Top Questions and Itineraries on the right>>> no need to make reservations or set plans...go on whatever day you feel like and according to the weather. Jump on the colectivo to all of the above, eco-parks or whatever catches your eye

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19936-Akumal_E…

http://coloradowanderer.shutterfly.com/97

Consider splitting your stay with a few days in PDC (not sure if you are referring to "Luna Blue" in Playa or Posada Luna del Sur in Tulum- either way check out the garden bar at Luna Blue and consider the latter for a less expensive stay in Tulum off beach)

PDC would be a closer base for horseback riding (does require reservations). Same gate entrance as Maroma Beach and they will help you with transportation. One of the highlights of our honeymoon:

http://coloradowanderer.shutterfly.com/103

Have fun deciding and enjoy your trip! :) CW

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

pourto morales may be an option

6. Re: Help me choose the right place to stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 07:15