We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico and traveling virgins

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mexico and traveling virgins

that's right....we've never traveled and have never been to mexico. we leave tuesday! so excited. i'm a little worried about some things....

should we take cash/credit cards/travelers checks?

do we need to call our banks and tell them we're leaving?

we aren't checking luggage and i need ALOT of sunscreen, so where can you buy biodegradable sunscreen/bug spray when we get there?

any other tips are greatly appreciated!

we are staying at Ocean Maya Royale, by H10

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

also looking at the forecast it looks like rain :( are these ussually all day thunderstorms or come and go?

we want to book an excursion while there...any suggestions on companies or ways to book?

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

I would take cash or traveler's checks...but that is just my opinion. Also, you can buy all the sunscreen you want while there. Just look in the gift shops and convenience stores. One thing about that part of the world during this time of the year is the that that there is a very good chance everyday that it will rain in the afternoon.

south lyon mi
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

First of all you are going to become addicted to Mexico! We bring cash and credit and yes you do have to call your bank/credit card company. Don't worry about the weather forecast it almost always says that it will rain and rarely does.The people are the warmest ! Don't expect food and such to be at the level of U.S. but embrace the differences. The rooms smell a little musty usually but that is because we are so blessed to be near the ocean. We have learned to love that smell when we unpack our things because it reminds us of such a wonderful place. Get at least 100 single dollar bills for tipping. Oh and when leaving the airport walk out quickly because evryone at the end is time share salespeople : ) We leave Friday: )

God bless!

Angela

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's a significant difference between "traveling virgins" and "travel virgins"?

:-)

Don't worry about the rain or forecasts. Usually short showers at one point or another during the day (or nothing), and certainly that's the norm much more than entire days of rain.

Steve

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

I am going to advise NOT to take traveler's checks...they are an outdated mode of getting local currency today and can be difficult to cash to boot.

We just use our debit cards to get pesos from local ATMs. We get large amounts out per transaction (like 5000 pesos or more) to reduce fees. OUr fees usually end up being about $2.50 CDN (about the same as USD) on the end of the MX bank and another $2 from our home bank.

We take along credit cards in case of an emergency but stick to only using pesos.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

Personally I would recommend buying plenty of sunscreen prior to leaving as it can be very expensive once you are there and buy at the resort or the little shops nearby. Most bottles of sunscreen will cost you around $20 US there in Mexico, unless you go to a Wal-Mart.

Above all else, just remember to relax, have fun, and enjoy many many delicious drinks while relaxing by the pool or on the beach. I would also recommend that you head to your local walmart and pick up a "Bubba Keg" insulated mug as it will keep your drinks very cold and won't have to worry about throwing away cheap plastic cups every 20 minutes.

Enjoy your vacation and have a blast! Don't forget to double check your travel list twice before you leave your house. Don't do what I did my first trip and forget to bring sunscreen, swim suit, and for the guys, long pants that you will need for the A La Cartes.

Paisley
Level Contributor
186 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

We're flying out to H10 Ocean Maya on Sunday, see you there! :)

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

When I was in high school I had a friend who had emigrated to Canada from Scotland with his family. He was fond of reciting a rhyme from his homeland about traveling virgins. It went like this:

Four and twenty virgins went down to Inverness

When they got back home there were four and twenty less.

Anyway I second or third the recommendation for using ATMs instead of travelers cheques. I don't understand the need for one dollar US bills for tipping. Pesos are just fine for everything. Have a great time.

9. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 14:05
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mexico and traveling virgins

If you're not checking luggage take the TSA allowable amout of sunscreen and resign yourself to buying a bottle there. It's more expensive but so what. You'll find lots of ways to spend money :). I definately suggest getting out and exploring. There are many tours/excursions that are well recommended depending on your interests. See the countryside and villages! The world's second largest reef runs adjacent to the Riviera Maya so do a boat tour/snorkel to see amazing things. I also would not use travelers checks. Just cc or cash/ATM. And yes, let your cc company know your dates. Have fun!