We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

cuseman
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Anyone been to both? We stayed at Gran Bahia Coba last year and were limited to 2 or 3 a la cartes.

We are planning on staying 10 nights in July. Are we limited on a la cartes at either of these places? Is it a pain to get 'reservations'?

I've read its too long of a walk to PDC from Sandos, what about Riu?

Lastly, at Coba they had nightly entertainment (30 minutes or so) for the kids done by the Kids Club. Anyone know if this exists at either of these resorts?

Thanks so much.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Apparently as of last week Sandos has switched to their "low season" routine-they do not do reservations. No word yet on how this is going.

My sister and her husband walked from Sandos to PDC. They said it took about 30 minutes, but was rather unpleasant: The beach slopes downwards, so walking for 30 minutes with your foot in a weird angle was not fun.

cuseman
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Yeah, I dont want to walk to PDC from Sandos................especially with a 6 year old.

Hopefully, Riu is closer.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

I have stayed at Riu Yukatan which has access to Riu Tequila and Sandos Riviera. Both resorts have entertainment but I think if I was bringing young kids I would probably stay at Sandos, without kids I'd stay at a Riu. Sandos seems to be more family oriented and has more things for the kids to do. I also have walked to PDC from both Sandos and Riu Yukatan. Sandos is the farthest away. The Tequila is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile from Sandos . I really enjoy walking into Playa although I walk a lot so it's not that big of a deal to me. I think the thing that would concern me most about doing that walk in July is the heat. One thing I like about the Riu's is if you stay at the Tequila you can use the Yukatan and Playcar. So You can get a drink at the Tequila or Yukatan walk the beach about 1/4 mile towards PDC and get a refill at Playcar. Your still have quite a long ways to get to Playa but it's nice to have a little refresher stop.

cuseman
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Thanks MichelJim, much appreciated.

Do you know if they have evening activities for the kids? At Coba, they had nightly activities around 7pm on the main stage hosted by the kids club staff. They played games, did face paintings, danced, etc.

Also, how do a la cartes work there? Is it unlimited and is there a long line each morning (we like to sleep in)? In Jamaica it was unlimited but I realize its different depending on the resort in Mexico.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Just add, was post that they are going back to a la Cartes reservation system Monday. I believe was 3 reservations for 7 night stay. Upgrade to Select Club unlimited. Sandos are located on the beach.

Lots of kids game ,shows and a big game room.

I PM you a break down of Sandos Playacar.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

At the Rius a la cartes are unlimited but you need to book each day, except for the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, and eat at your own resort (Tequila)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Sandos has the best beach on the strip in my opinion and the Tequila is not on the beach at all it is across the street.

Clay City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
184 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Just got back Saturday from Sandos, and they have returned to the reservation system for the non-buffet dining options. Is probably for the best since without the reservations, you had to put your name on a waiting list & it was sometimes a 2 hour wait, & by the time you got to one of the others, it was also a long wait.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Hola dminix

Thanks for the update. Been to other resorts with no reservation and the same problem of wait times. When something not broken, why try to fix it.

Newcastle Upon...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Tequila or Sandos Riviera

Hi,

I have just returned from the Riu Tequila and really just had to add regarding children / entertainment at the hotel. I really have to say that this resort was great for kids and having a five year old myself, she really enjoyed it. The staff are superb and the kids club would start at 10.30am until dinner and then return in the afternoon. In the evening, the kids show would last for approximately 1hr with dances and games for them,

Hope that helps and we will be returning to this excellent hotel in April,

Regards, Charlie