We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

leeds england
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

Finally decided and booked 2 weeks at Riu Tequila last 2 weeks September.

Cannot wait, 1st time to Mexico.

Can anyone offer advice, things to do nor don't do etc.

Thanks Gem

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

take lots of mozzie repellant and sun lotion, its expensive over there. maybe take a can of Raid (blue can) for the room, when the maids clean the room they have the doors open and mozzies hide in the curtains ready to bite/attack in the night lol

Take plenty of hair conditioner the sun, pool and sea really takes its toll on your hair, you dont want to come back looking like a scarecrow lol

take lots of small notes for tipping

have you ever flown long haul? the flight lasts forever (10.5 hours) take some munchies for the flight, the flight food is ok but its expensive if you want a snack so take a few nibbles with you

Gem , its really hot and humid so pack really light clothes, dresses, skirts, tops

ENJOY

Edited: 18 June 2011, 15:38
leeds england
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

Thanks for the advice. Done long haul several times last time was Cuba last year, will definately take snacks as they know how to charge!

Will look at getting a plug in mozzie repelant for the room, uesd this type before very effective and sun creams will repellant as well a sthe jungle formula for evening.

Would you advise any trips?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

I only went into Playa del Carmen, lots of shopping to be done, bars and restaurants, nice to get off resort and we had good fun partying at some of the bars like the tequila barrel as well as others. We also caught the ferry to Cozumel for the day beautiful beaches and diving, more bars etc doesnt take long to get to playa del carmen in a cab and its cheap and you get the ferry which only takes like 40 minutes to Cozumel again its cheap. (something like 18US $)

I have never visited the mayan ruins Chichen Itza, turtles at Akumel etc, there is lots to do and see but my kind of holiday is rest and relaxation with a bit of boozing and partying thrown in! but if you are quite active i would defo do a couple of trips to break the weeks up.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 18:15
devon
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

Hi Gem1984

We stayed at the tequila last November and had a great time, food, staff in fact everything about the hotel was great.

We did a couple of trips that we booked at the info centre on 5th avenue, the coba/tulum trip was brilliant, and half the price of what the reps were asking.

When you go to the beach, take some bread/bananas and you can feed the fish, they are like angel fish...lovely.

We took avon skin so soft as mossie repellant, worked a treat..didnt get bitten once.

You will have a great time :-)

essex england
Level Contributor
732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

we are thinking of booking this hotel over the xmas & new year, it looks really nice, its a toss up between this hotel and cayo coco but i think this is winning so far

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

HI,

Me too :) Booked on Friday however not going until next June as we had our honeymoon in January and heading to Croatia in August, so already had plans.

Unfortunately can't help with the hotel, but the reviews on TA seem really good. I was in Cancun 5years ago and absolutely loved it :) We did lots of trips, speedboating, snorkelling, swam with dolphins in Isla Majures - the Island is fantastic and you get to hire a golf buggy type thing to drive about on. Tulum was a good trip with beautiful scenery :) and we loved Xe hal :), good day out. I'd recommend all of those things, will be doing all over again plus adding a few more trips this time - mostly fishing tours for hubbie.

Read up on Jungle Palace if fancy meeting Spider Monkeys, it's something i think we'll do next year. Read up on 'Things to do' on top left of this page :) I beleive PDC has a Coco-bongo's and i loved the one in Cancun :)

Enjoy, i'd love to be going in September :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
640 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

Hope you have a great time, the tequilas a fab hotel. Definitely make sure you explore 5th ave. We didn't venture there til well into our second week and although the food is good at the tequila it's nice to have a change and there are some great bars and restaurants there. We also did the bar crawl in cancun which was a good night.

We found chichen itza really interesting even though it's quite a long day, if you are into sightseeing I would totally recommend going!

leeds england
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - Gem

9. Re: Riu Tequila - Booked cannot wait

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:20