We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

I just returned (last night) from a scouting trip for my upcoming wedding. We narrowed it to two choices: the Azul in Puerto Morelios & Playacar Palace (don't confuse with the RIU Palaces- I have stayed there and they are fabulous).

We met the customer relations man "Mr. W" at the Playacar Palace. He was not at all charming, explaining the hotel didn't need our business and the 30 rooms we would need next November were of little importance. "We have all the business we need", in perfect English accompanied by a smug grin. We walked with him next to view an over populated pool area. There is no beach or beach access at the hotel. Guests sit behind a large seawall made of cement & glass and look at the waves crashing below. We then ventured by the buffet which was a sea of peolpe and a shabby layout. I would say that it reminded us of a cheesy Vegas buffet.

If you want grandios, super food, and great staff in Playacar head to the RIU Palace/s.

If you want a low-key, intimate experience coupled with great service, food, and top shelf alcohol, (and No Buffets) head to The Azul Beach Hotel. We will be married there and are excited.

Batavia, OH
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

How many days did you stay at Playacar Palace?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Why would he just come out and tell you they didn't need your business? Did you try to get a room discount for quantity? These people survive on tourists so there must have been some reason the cust. rel. man was snide.

I keep hearing something about a hurricane that took place recently and that some resorts don't have much of a beach. I don't see anything that advertises the Playacar having a huge beach.

All of the Playacar's reviews have raved about the service there. Top shelf liquor (in your room even), good food and great atmosphere are also mentioned.

Hope you have a great honeymoon and get what you pay for.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Just returned from playacar palace. I actually stayed there and have no relation with this hotel. But would tell others who are looking at this hotel that it was tremendous. Would return in a heartbeat.

Batavia, OH
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Thank You! This resort was awesome! I notice there was no response as to if they even stayed there. I'm thinking maybe they visited expecting the Customer Relations to compete for their business or give them something for nothing and that didn't happen. When we were there in Mid-January there was never, not once, an overcrowded pool or surrounding area. I don't see where anyone ever claimed that there was a huge beach. But I know for a fact that there is access directly to the beach from the pool area along with a shower area to wash the sand off your feet. The glass surrounds the buffet area and makes for a beautiful view of the pool area and ocean. I miss the sound of the waves crashing into the wall, which is actually the concrete wall of the lounge chair pool that sits directly over the ocean. Never had a problem with an overcrowded buffet either and never waited in any lines for the other resturaunts, which by the way were delicious. Top shelf liquor, excellent service, beautiful setting, delicious food tastefully displayed, great rooms, top notch bartenders plus more is what you can expect at the Playacar Palace. Just 2 cents worth from someone who actualy DID stay at this resort. We can't wait to go back! Hope you have a beautiful wedding and get everything you pay for. As for travelers looking for an exceptional resort, don't base your choice on the brief visit of tropicrzy. It was not very accurate.

Batavia, OH
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

bump

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Just curious as to why you bumped this?

Batavia, OH
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Just so you could ask why....why?

FL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

hoffer

Remember me when you get back I want some feedback on best tours, best food, tips of any kind so that we can have the best relaxing vacation. re. tours, I don't want to be gone all day. Should we rent a car and go on own, Could we still use the hotel free package that way?My husband wants to visit ruins: Daughter wants to swim w/ dolphins, I want to see beautiful beach and snorkel. I realize the drama about the beach there at Playa I think I'll enjoy Isle Mujeros tour.? I've read there is a beach south of hotel to the right away from ferry ? I am going in 4 weeks. Also, just curious, I only drink wine if you sample any that you like at the hotel, please tell me. I've read, if you ask, they will get you a french wine and one from Mexico that is very good??? I love lobster is it on any of the menus? If not, I think I'll splurge on get it on 5th. Tips on fun thinks on 5th too. Have Fun

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

Hi dedee,

I'm going to have to remember all of this. Send me an email at my home address and I could send some info now, and LOTS when we return.

hoffer@charter.net

Thanks, Mike

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playacar Palace- glad we didn't choose

This topic really floored me as my sister just returned from the Playacar Palace and did nothing but rave about the food and staff. I really do not know how people can see the same place in two completely different respects.

My sis usually stays at the Sun Palace and said comparison wise it was as nice, if not better.