We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

Hello, I'm looking for some help for my 40th birthday. The reviews of both hotels are mixed 75% are exel - good for Playa and 85% Exec - Good for Nuevo Vallarta. 10% does not seem like much but I'm tossed. I have been to Playa twice once in 08 and again in 09 both times I stayed at the Riu (gave reviews both times). I really enjoyed myself but my husband was not that big of a fan of the Riu. We have a time share and can do a trade thought IIA getting us a 2 bedroom suite at either Playa or Nuevo Vallarta so I'm hoping my fellow TripAdvisors can help me narrow down to 1 location.

I've never been to PV before. The beaches seem nicer than the PDC location but on the flip the water in PV seems dark compared to the lush aqua that is in PDC. I also love being so close to Cozumel while in PDC, it's always a fun get away; however, I don't know if there is anything fun to do while in PV?

Also does anybody know how far Grand Luxxe is from downtown? I know at the Riu we were within walking distance which was wonderful. We've never rented a car before but being we'd be there a week we might decide to rent ... any pointers there are also helpful for either or both locations. I've heard Mexico horror stories about renting cars!!!! Does the hotel charge a daily parking fee, etc.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

NE South Dakota
Level Contributor
158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

The Grand Luxxe Playa is located on the same property as the Mayan Palace Riveria Maya and the Grand Mayan. It is a 30 minute car ride into Playa del Carmen and about the same distance to Cancun ,so if being in town is important this resort is a long way out. Night life tends to be pretty quiet at this resort. We stay at Mayan Palace and never rent a car. We contact the concierge to arrange free transportation from the airport. We use taxi service or hotel shuttle to get into Playa del Carmen. The grounds are lush , pools are huge and the new Luxxe looks beautiful.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

The Riviera Maya property does not have a good swimming beach, but it has a great walking beach if that is important to you. You really can walk for miles and miles. The Nuevo property has a much shorter beach. I don't even think it's a mile. Also Nuevo has a few restaurants in the area other than those located on the Grupo Mayan property. The RM location has none. You can take a bus in to Puerto Vallarta nearby. You can get the bus or colectivo from the RM location in to Playa. We've only stayed at the Nuevo location once (Mayan Palace, not Grand Luxxe). We've stayed at the RM location five times. One feature we do prefer in Nuevo is that they don't automatically put a gratuity on EVERY purchase like they do at the RM location. (Even grocery purchases). In Nuevo you have a shot at ocean view. I don't know where they put the Grand Luxxe on the RM property as it wasn't built the last time we were there, but there was no ocean view for any of the Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan buildings. I thought I'd heard Grand Luxxe was going to be ocean front but I haven't looked it up to know. We prefer the beautiful water in Playa but are going back to Puerto Vallarta next March just for a little change of scenery.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

We stayed at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta in February this year. For 2012 we are going to Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya, so I've been following Playa's forum for info.

As far as the Nuevo Vallarta Grand Luxxe, other than the construction going on (which isn't terrible, kind of neat to watch progress, but constant activity) you will absolutely love the Grand Luxxe there. They have literally "thought of everything".

As far as the Puerto Vallarta area, and Nuevo there are plenty of things to do. There is a tour company-Vallarta Adventures, who take out tour groups for zip-line, jeep/atv, or on large cataramans for snorkeling, water adventures. Whale watching is very popular from Dec-Mar. They also have a neat dinner cruise/onland show called Rythmns of the Night. (I highly recommend-we've done twice, and would definitely go again)

There is another company that does a pirate show during the day on a pirate ship, and a dinner/booze cruise at sunset-with fireworks.

In downtown PV there is a Malecon (boardwalk) area with shops, restaurants, and clubs, which is great for daily or nightly activity for both tourist and locals.

Again-haven't been to RM/playa yet, but from everything I can tell the Luxxe rooms there are located in a jungle. The building is only 3 stories high (like all the buildings at the Mayan property), so there is no ocean view. In Nuevo Vallarta, the way they are positioning the Luxxe buildings at an angle (9 stories tall), and with most rooms having 2 sides of the building, every room has some view of the city, river, and ocean.

1 more plus for Nuevo is access to the Grand Mayan resort next door. They have a mini waterpark there with a very nice long lazy river, 2 wave pools, and a water slide. Fun for everyone-kids up to senior citizens!

We are going to Riviera Maya to try something different (golf course, restaurants, etc.) Since we have been in Nuevo the last 4 years.

Good luck, and report back with your findings!

Conway Arkansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

We stayed at the Grand Luxxe at RM and enjoyed it greatly. Yes the three story building, built in a Hurrican Zone, was great. When we were there this past May, the other building was being hurbished inside with the temp lobby in the first building. The permanent lobby isa to be in the building that was being worked on. Being three stories, you are in the jungle. I will say that the buildings are off to themselves, while the Mayan Place and Grand Mayan are all togeather. Being Grand Luxxe members, we had our own pool, snackbar and own beach fixtures and portion of the beach in Grand Luxxe areas. The internal transportation are large Cargo electric carts, with Grand Luxxe having their own oversided electric carts. As Grand Luxxe Members, we were given a ride from Cancun Airport to the doorstep of the Grand Luxxe. We did have to arrange our return transporation with the GL Concierege, which cost $30.00 for both of us. The room are top of the line and the bed was nice and comfortable not hotels beds!!!! The only downside to staying at the Grand Luxxe was the inital spiel by the "hostess" that was a "breakfast update for Grand Luxxe Members". I told her this is a Time share presentation of which she denied it. Anyway, we never answered our phone, so I guess they gave up on us. All you have to say is "no thank you , I am not interested". Other than that we enjoyed all of our stay, the best part being "looking out to the wave coming in, having one Corona moment after another"!! Ha

Rita & Charlie

california
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

Funny we are looking at just the opposite. We know PV fairly well but not Riv. There are lots of things to do in both PV and other cities around the large bay. We enjoy going just north for a smaller old time Mexico feel.

Last in PV (two years ago) Grand Luxxe was not yet done. We stayed at Grand Mayan. I believe yhou'll find the NV properties much larger with higher structures (no hurricanes) than Riv. The distance to PV is about 15-20 minutes and was about 150 peso.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

There are a lot of things to do in PV. It is a bustling city, much different than Playa. We've stayed in PV and Nuevo a few times and really enjoyed our vacation. The beach sand is much darker than Playa, but it is hard sand and easy to walk. The sunsets in PV are gorgeous! The beautiful red sun sets over the water and lots of people go out to watch it each night. You can walk the beach or take a cab to Bucerias, which is a small little town with a flea market and some cool bars and restaurants. You can cab it to PV and go to Old Town for nice shopping, art galleries and restaurants. The Marina area is right next to the airport and has great shops and restaurants. Probably the most fun we had was taking a water taxi from Nuevo to Old Town. About 3/4 of the way there the captain stopped the boat so we could see all of the dolphins swimming around us. If you go December-February you can actually see dolphins and whales from the beach! You can also take a taxi to Punta de Mita, where the beach is more like Playa and the water is a pretty blue. We love PV as much as Playa, but for different reasons. Playa is much more laid back, while PV is a busy city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

Hi Rita and Charlie: Thank you for the update on GL, Cancun. We plan to be there in Dec. Do you have any suggestions for outside activities? Do you recommend any restaurants outside of the Resort? This will be our first time at the GL Riveria; we stayed at the Mayan Riveria about 5 years ago. Appreciate any tips. Thank you.

8. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2011, 14:08
Edited: 13 December 2011, 14:08
Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
217 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

Maverick68

Thank you for your info and the update.

I have been starving for info on the GL in Riviera Maya because we are going in January '12.

We stayed at GL Nuevo in January '11, and I was the one to prompt Tripadvisor to set up the stand along category there for GL. I didn't email them, I hit on the tab "write review" from the home screen, and follow the prompts to give them info for a resort that doesn't come up through a search.

Good luck!

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Luxxe Playa vs Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

Haven't stayed in either Luxxe, but have stayed at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta, which shares the same beach with the Luxxe. The beach at Nuevo Vallarta was not to our liking. Gray, hot, rocky sand.... not impressed.

The beaches at the Mayan in Cancun are much better. That alone would have me staying at the Luxxe in Cancun.