We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

Looking into this resort for this October. When I go to check prices, I am asked if I want a Caribe room or a Beach room. What is the difference? Has anybody been there recently and can comment on the beach? I am a beach girl, not a pool girl.

Is drink service offered at the beach?

Thanks!

winnipeg
Level Contributor
291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

The Caribe and Beach are the two older resorts in the complex. I've stayed at the Tropical which was identical to the Colonial so I'd guess the Caribe and Beach are pretty similar. The beach at the Caribe/ Beach resorts had a steep drop off and the sand wasn't as nice as near the Tropical/ Colonial section. That part of the beach was excellent. There was no drink service anywhere on the beach.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

Thanks for the info. The resort looks huge so I suspected there were many different sections.

Was the drop off recent?

winnipeg
Level Contributor
291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

I've was there for the first time last January so I can't say. Maybe the drop off isn't as bad as I remember it but the beach in front of the newer resorts is definitely much better.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

Ok thanks

Lawrence
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

I'm headed to the Barcelo Palace in a couple days for our third visit to the Barcelo. The entire resort is beautiful and no matter which section you stay in you have access to the whole beach area. If I'm correct the drop off that the other person is talking about isn't that big of a deal....in front of the Beach/Caribe section the water is very shallow for a long ways out, but than drops down a couple feet.

There is some good snorkling in front of the Palace section and you are almost guarenteed to see a turtle or two. Now as the other poster said the Beach and Caribe are one section, Colonial and Tropical another and then there is the Palace. If you stay at the Palace you have access to the entire resort...C/T you have access to everything except the Palace and then the B/C only to itself. The B/C section is the oldest and has the most authentic feel to it, but does not have AC buffets. However if you book Club Premium at the B/C I do believe you may then use the C/T AC buffets.

The following website is a wealth of info regarding the Barcelo...definitely suggest you check it out: http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

Madison Heights...
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

We just returned on June 25th and stayed in the Sayil Building of the Caribe section. The Beach/Caribe sections are pretty much the same, however, the Caribe section is closer to the middle of the entire resort so if you want a little less walking, go with Caribe. You will still walk a TON while you are there though...the place is huge! The website that KsJunebug listed was definitely helpful to me as well before going.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

Thanks!

8. Re: Barcelo Riviera Maya Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 00:15