We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

So the past week I have been in the beginning stages of planning our annual december 2 week trip, after all that's what we do immediately after our vacations, to lessen the hangover. Been to playa 2x, just came back in early June, love , love it , but want to experience other places. I am currently on the Negril and St Lucia forums, finding info on couples or sandals, which seem like nice resorts, especially price wise as hubby spent out the " booty" on scuba diving, and diving is included ! Here is my real question - had anyone gone to Playa and next vacation gone to jamaica of even st. Lucia and regretted it? Right now I think it's all about price, we have no problem going back to the Royal if we price out his dive costs and that and hotel and airfare and they are less than sandals and couples in Jamaica or St. Lucia ( that includes his 2 week worth of dives) so much to think about! Playa is our favorite vacay, but at the same time, there is a lot of world to see!

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,428 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

We cheat on Playa all the time.

Life is too short and the world too big and beautiful to keep going back to the same place year after year, is our approach.

Went to the Pacific coast to Rincon de Guayabitos last xmas, to Negril (stayed on 7 Mile Beach in a non-AI hotel, loved it) for a week in early March, going to Isla Mujeres in 26 days, and planning on coming to Playa in November or early December, then Huatulco or Manzanillo (will be our third trip to either of those) in March.

Or, possibly Cuba again. Or Roatan, or Turks and Caicos, maybe. St. Lucia is a PITA to get to from here, but I would love to go there too. Not sure yet!

We have had zero regrets no matter where we go. If we thought we would regret it, then we wouldn't go there in the first place, lol.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

I like Negril as well. I'm not sure the diving will be as good though. I'd do some checking on one of the scuba boards.

If you choose Negril, do consider splitting your trip, and spend some time up on the Cliffs. There are some lovely little properties up there. We had a small cabin at Banana Shout, pretty much nothing but screens on three sides, then the ocean out front at the bottom of the cliff. I could watch the dolphins from bed. There are stairs down the side of the cliff for access to the water. It's really beautiful. There are several excellent restaurants close by as well.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

Thanks for your quick replies! What did you think of huatulo? We have been to Mazatlan. I was looking into the new secrets that's not even open yet ! What's the weather in dec? I have read there is scuba, not like playa, but after our all time best vacation in playa 3 weeks ago, it going to be tough convincing hubby to venture about ! I love my drink, my beach and good food, but hubby gets bored, yet when take him place new-- he is like- Omg this is so much fun ! He is hard to break from his comfort zone!

I have been to cancun before, and knew he wouldnt like it, so I suggested playa, but because we had to fly into cancun and he knew nothing about the area, for 2 months before our trip to playa, he was complaining it was going to be a 24 hour jello shot party! Now he doesn't want to go anywhere else! Now I have to start all over, just book, and listen to him for 2 months telling people where I am dragging him next! This is my life- really! But I love him! Everyone -awwwwe

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

Do it...it is not cheating...it is just living

When you come back to Playa it will feel like home :)

have fun

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

I assume you have been to Cozumel, being so close, and hearing so many good things. How about Isla Mujeres?

Doesnt sound like you are a Costa Rica person, but that is the place that I really want to go.

Key West was fun, and that seems like you Tweety, but you might be interested in more of an exotic feel.

We also did Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV on a cruise, and PV was great, just not the clear water you get in PDC and Coz.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

We think about it. I've been looking at Belize and Roatan, but being on a budget, the bang for your buck in the Riviera Maya can't be beat, in our experience. And we still have so much of the area to explore, I think Playa will be the next couple of vacations for us. Mexico has been our favorite area so far, although we did love our resort in Punta Cana. We didn't really care for Negril, but that's just personal taste.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Virginia
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

I have been to Jamaica, and I personally like Mexico SO much more.

I have been to Huatulco and Ixtapa. The beaches, in my opinion, are SO much prettier in the Riviera Maya. I won't go back to the other two.

St Lucia was very nice- I am glad I went once, but I probably won't go back any time soon.

If I were going to "cheat" any time soon, I would go to Turks and Caicos. The AI options are limited there (Club Med and Beaches), which has kind of kept me from going to this point.

My favorite non-Mexico destination is Harbour Island Bahamas. We used to go to Eleuthera many times a year (it is a pretty short, easy flight for us). The pink sand and crystal water is absolutely amazing! I have never seen anything that comes even close to it.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

We were in Playa in Jan2009 and Vegas a couple times throughout the year then went to Hawaii for 3 weeks in Jan 2010 again some Vegas trips then back to Playa in Jan 2011 for 17 days!!! Not cheating on Playa..the world is a small place and its all great in its own little way!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

We cheat on Playa all the time...and we live here! But when we "cheat" it is with something other than a beach vacation.

We discovered Playa about 13 years ago. Very quickly it became our "special" place, eventually pulling us here full time. We have never seen a tropical setting quite like this one. We have visited many of the Caribbean Islands (BVI, American Virgin Isles, Jamaica, Bahamas and more) and never found one we thought compared to Playa.

Negril, Jamaica, which we visited last year, was especially a disappointment for us in many ways. We never stay in resorts , but prefer small hotels going out on our own. In Negril we found the beaches outside the resorts to be littered with trash. The lack of a reef off shore made the snorkeling uninteresting. The best "tourist" restaurant was Margaritaville, so that says something. There was no central shopping/entertainment/restaurant area. Basically no general tourist zone. The natural beauty of the island is somewhat offset by the extreme poverty and ecological indifference. Example: we went on a cave/cenote tour where the walls had been painted with graffiti and the tour guide careless broke off pieces of limestone as he lead the way (not to mention smoking a giant spliff lol). We were amazed after living here where cenotes are protected as almost sacred. There was much about Jamaica we did like which we saw as we drove away from the beach and into small mountain towns, but the beach was less than we were used to. We will certainly go back, bit not to have a beach vacation.

Because we think our beaches are so amazing we tend to "cheat" on Playa by going to non-beach destinations like London or San Francisco or Manhattan. Key west and New Orleans are also yearly visits. As someone said, there is a lot of world to see and our plan is to see the best of it...and for us when you talk beach vacation Playa is the best.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

Edited: 05 July 2011, 00:09
Mentioned in this post
Luna Blue Hotel
Luna Blue Hotel
957 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa...
6,976 Reviews
Cuba
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone cheated on Playa? Thought?

LUNA BLUE- you gave me some great advice when i asked about the weather in dec, because our dec 2009 trip turned a little chilly, but this is to everyone here on the PLAYA forum, i spent 2 weeks in JAMAICA in dec 2010, because i found PLAYA a little chilly, but the whole time i was there i had wished i chose PLAYA last demember, mostly for the reasons LUNA BLUE gave on their opinion of JAMAICA, though i stayed in RUNAWAY BAY, not NEGRIL. it will be easy to get hubby to go back to PLAYA, and me too, it was our favorite vacay so far, and staying at THE ROYAL didnt hurt either! i know if we go back to PLAYA in dec it will be the ROYAL again, and if it is chilly, there is always VERONICAS and 5TH ave and my hubby thinks 70 degrees is too warm! it truely is a special place and they say dont fix want not broken! thanks again for everyones input and help, even though dec is a ways away we usually book by august to get the best prices!

BTW i almost went into your bar/restaurant and said hello, when my hubby was doing his morning scuba, i walked by your place probably 5 times! its me i know, you guys seem welcoming and friendly but US northerners are a little more reserved ! ( plus i am a little shy! saying hey it TWEETY from CT isnt my thing, but def next time i promise! )

Edited: 05 July 2011, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,428 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Luna Blue Hotel
Luna Blue Hotel
957 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica