We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

I'm starting to get a little worried about it. We are not ones to let bad reviews get to us at all, but we choose The Royal over Secrets even though we are beach people, and I never must have paid that much attention to the talk of a stinky beach. Not very appealing if its really that bad.

We new we were giving up the beach for the location of being in town by the clubs we like, shopping, etc.....just hoping the beach isn't as bad as it has been sounding lately.

Can someone ease our concerns, :)

Kent
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

it's not that bad and it's not all the way along the hotel front. we were next door at the gran porto 5 days ago and walked the beach a few times and it seemed to be the right hand side ( if you were facing the hotel standing on the beach), it is a sulphur smell, abit like bad eggs. past the hotel away from the gran porto it was ok and at the walkout between the hotels was ok, location is great by the way

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

I didn't think it was bad, especially if there is a breeze (which is most of the time).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

I too am a beach girl, and although have been to nicer beaches, the hotel really has it going on! I swam everyday from my beach cabana and if you really want some perfect ocean to swim in, just walk a little to the left or way, way to the right, way past GPR- I went to see my hubby off from scuba diving, near the Blue Parrot, and took a little swim and had a cocktail! It is beautiful and more quiet way near the boutique hotels ! I think it's fun being near the action of 5th ave! We did spend more money having fun but it was worth it!

Edited: 12 July 2011, 22:14
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

BTW- I didn't notice any smell first week of June, but we did experience a fire smell of burning bush??? And the smell of the waverunners-but I was on them , so it was ok!!! You will have an amazing time, I will go if you don't want to !!!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

I'm the minority here, I hated the beach but enjoyed a lot of the other parts of the resort. However, the beach is the only reason I usually go to Playa so I probably would not return to the Royal unless I was attending another 'event' that I needed to be that close to town for on a daily basis.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

...it wouldn't have anything to do with beer and cheese nachos would it?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

it might!

Florida
Level Contributor
769 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

We just returned from the RPDC and didn't notice any smell the week we were there. Have a great vacation, it's a wonderful place!

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

when we were there, some people had told us its the smell lingering from the sewer drains. which at that time they had several days of rain which was causing it to be full and back up into the streets and then run down onto the beach -gross! not sure if they had much rain recently that could have caused that or if this smell is from another source.

Its a beautiful resort and you will have a great time. smell or no smell :-)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The sewage/sulfur smell on the beach at the Royal PDC

We were there the same week as Tweety and did smell the sulfur smell. But, only as we were entering the beach from the pool area. Once on the beach the smell wasn't there.

We took long walks on the beach in both directions, and to the right, quite a ways past the ferry we found a beach that had a sand bar. It was a perfect location for swimming. We took a long a small soft sided cooler filled with canned beer so we didn't have to be in a hurry to return to the resort.