We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marysville...
6 posts
Save Topic
Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

We are in Playa now and want to do a tour that has Tulum and snorkeling with the turtles in the same day. Does anyone have any suggestions on which tour company would be best or should we try it on our own? We were thinking of doing this on Thursday or Friday.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

www.edventuretours.com.mx

They are very user friendly. Pick you up from your resort or hotel, take you back & set up a custom tour of things that appeal to you. They offer Tulum Ruins, Cobo Ruins, Mayan Village, snorkeling in cenotes, snorkeling with the turtles in Akumal Bay and snorkeling with the pretty fish in Yal-Ku lagoon. They have their own zip lines and diving cliff. Family run and your guides will be with you all day. They will supply you with all your equipment. Bring a towel.

You can do Tulum Ruins and Akumal on your own, but you have to take the ADO bus to Tulum Ruins early in the day, then take a colectivo north to Akumal, walk to the beach, rent your equipment at the Akumal Dive Shop and then walk back to hwy and catch a colectivo back to PDC. All easy, inexpensive but it takes some homework. It's a great day adventure.

There are neat little restaurants to choose from and you can obtain guides at Tulum for the Ruins and at the Dive Shop in Akumal or do it all on your own.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

OT3: where is the edventuretours tour shop located in town? I couldn't find it on their website; maybe I missed it.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Edventure tours headquarters is in a strip mall near the highway exit to the Tulum ruins. I recommend them as well.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Any and all tour operators require you to wear a lifevest while snorkeling. It is impossible to properly snorkel wearing one of these, and imho ruin an otherwise wonderful experience. Go on your own.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Edventure tours supply the snorkeling vests, so when you dive the air can be let out immediately. When you get back to the surface you can easily blow them up. These vests are nice when you hover over the turtles. Someone died recently in Akumal not wearing a vest. That is probably why they are mandatory with guides.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

I highly recommend Edventures as well. It was a great day!

Marysville...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Thank you everyone! I will give Edventures a call. I really appreciate all of your advice.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

liznash, it doesn't matter where they are located. They transport you to their shop, and you have to make reservations on line beforehand. After you go through the process it all makes sense. As a matter of fact, once you go through it you can be the tour guide for your friends doing it on your own the next time:-) Edventure Tours can pack a lot into one day, and your tour guide will be a friend for life. They have helped folks from 6 months to 90. Everyone thinks their guide is the best, but actually Hector is the best.

Last trip I took my brother and sister-in-law via the ADO bus, secured a guide at the entrance to the tram, toured the ruins and then we walked to the Tulum beach and had lunch at one of the beach clubs. Grabbed a taxi back to Tulum city and took the colectivo home. That was a perfect day trip.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Thanks, OT3. LOL...I'll be in Playa next week with MY brother and sister-in-law. Last time, with my husband, we joined another couple we met at our hotel (wonderful Playa Maya) and hired a taxi driver for the day. He took us to Akumal for snorkeling, where we also ate lunch, then the Tulum ruins. It was also a perfect day. This time, we are staying at an AI in Playacar (my first time AI) and I thought they might be more comfortable with a tour company. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the info. You are just a wealth of information, and I appreciate all your posts and recommendations.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,028 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum and Snorkeling with the turtles

Once you go, you will see how easy it is to do it yourself

Then you can stay for as long you want without being hustled back into the bus/van