We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

Leicester, England
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

Hi all

New to this forum but will be travelling to Playa del Carmen in 4 weeks time staying at Riu Tequila

Can any travellers from the UK advise if we should get vaccinations before travelling

Thank you

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
887 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

wether you get vaccinated or not is totally up to you as no vaccinations are compulsory. However as a brief guideline this is what you need Hep A and B, typhoid, tetanus and polio.Anti malarials are not needed.Make an appointment to see your practice nurse at your G.P surgery asap as it is recommended to start vaccinations 6 weeks prior to departure.Your practice nurse will be able to advise you further.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

All GPs are different - mine told me that I did not need any as I was travelling to the tourist area of Mexico and have been told the same thing various times over the years.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

Looks like this would be the page to consult:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…mexico.aspx

Steve

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

I simply can't imagine why a physician would tell a patient that an immunization is unnecessary when traveling to a country where the disease is endemic.

Hepatitis A is endemic in Mexico. It's considered a high risk area for the disease (as is all of Central America).

Hep A is easily transmitted, and, while most people recover completely, there are those who will have liver problems the rest of their lives.

No matter how good your own personal hygiene may be, you are only as safe as the hygiene practices of those who prepare and serve your food.

The immunizations are safe and provide long term protection. It's a series of two (unless you also opt for Hep B, then it's a series of three) injections a few months apart. You won't have time for the full series before you travel, but, I've read you will have about 85% protection for the first injection.

Off my soapbox....

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

If you get the whole lot, it is FREE in the UK.

Based on that, why dont you get it.

My travel nurse recommended that approach.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

My Gp said vaccinations were not necessary.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

If my physician wasn't on top of tropical medicine enough to know that there is a serious risk of Hepatitis A in Mexico, I'd be looking for a different physician.

shoeburyness
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

we are also going to the riu tequila in just under 4 weeks, we were advised by our docters surgery to have typhiod,hep a&b, tetenus and polio. we all had them about 6 weeks ago as we were told they should be done approx 10 wks before holiday, hope this helps.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

We're flying to PDC tomorrow. My family had the following: Hep A, typhoid, diptheria, tetanus booster and polio booster. 3 injections as some are combined.

Leicester, England
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Mexico - vaccinations

Hi Beverley

Thanks for your reply, looks like we will be there at same time :)

For me this is a fairly late booking and when I phoned my doctors surgery I was advised that i needed to visit a website - MASTA travel - and register with them

This has given me a summary of required, recommended and vaccines to be considered

Required - no compulsory vaccinations

Recommended - Tetanus, Hepatitis A, Typhoid Fever

Consider - Diptheria, Hepatitis B, Rabies

Out of intereste, did your GP recommend Malaria tablets?

Marcia