We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner at sandos playacar

chicago
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
dinner at sandos playacar

which restaurants does everyone like best? what was your favorite dish?

im traveling with a child so we cant go to le gourmet, do you think they will let us order to go?

el gaucho- any good seafood dishes? im not really into steaks

grand buffet- which night is best?

asiana- whats on the menu? thai? chinese? sushi?

fogo de janiero- whats on the menu?

Iztapalapa- mexican buffet

winnipeg
Level Contributor
315 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

All the restaurants we ate were very good. We skipped the gourmet for the same reason as you.

Asiana -- Japanese, Thai and Chinese dishes. The sushi and tempura were very good as were the teppanyaki chicken and beef.

El Gaucho -- I had a T-bone with baked potato and corn. You choose the side dishes and sauce for your steak from an extensive list. I think there was a vegetarian option, chicken and one or two grilled fish dishes.

Fogo de Janiero -- Self serve buffet for starters and sides. Servers slice off assorted meats (beef, chicken, turkey and pork) from large skewers.

Iztapalapa -- Mediterranean not Mexican. I recall there being a lot of seafood on the menu. I had a seafood casserole that was really just assorted seafood served with a sauce on the side. It was excellent.

Mexican -- standard Mexican fare. Try the lime soup. We ate there 3 times over to weeks because no reservations were required.

Grand Buffet -- We only had dinner there once. It was also very good but we preferred the Italian buffet that is right next door.

Grosse Ile, Michigan
Level Contributor
897 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

We enjoyed the Mediterranean the best out of the A la Carte restaurants. I did not care for the Italian at all. Asiana, liked it but others in my group did not, Fogo de Janiero, lots of meat, most of it I thought overcooked. We prefer the Buffet over most of the a la cartes, something for everyone.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

El gaucho also has a grilled shrimp brochette oon the appetizer menu which I enjoyed, as well as a few fish dishes.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

does anyone have a copy of the mediterranean menu?

there are 5 restaurants that require reservations, correct?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

All of the non buffets require reservations. I made a list of restaurants. Let me try to dig around TA and find it.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

Found it:

Yes, we found that the buffets and restaurants would close randomly. We walked all the way from the beach section where we stayed to the Riviera buffet for breakfast only to find it was closed. No warning, just a sign on the door directing us to the other tiny outdoor buffet on the riviera side.

Also, the Italian buffet was closed the entire week we were there.

Here is a list of restaurants I compiled before going to Sandos last month. The operating hours are what the hotel lists on their website, but keep in mind they all close for whatever reason randomly:

Restaurant List

• "Le Gourmet"

o Reservations

o “Le Gourmet” is situated at the SANDOS Beach section of the resort past the Meeting & Info point; it is the first door on your right.

o DINNER: 6:00pm – 10:00pm. CLOSED ON MONDAYS

o Dress Code: Resort Elegant (shorts not allowed)

• “El Goucho Steakhouse”

o Reservations

o El Gaucho Steakhouse is located opposite the Avenue Bar in the Main Square of the Sandos Beach section.

o **OPEN FOR DINNER: 6:30pm – 10:00pm, seven days a week

• “Asiana

o Reservations

o Located on ground floor of main lobby in Riviera Section.

o Dishes will be served in the center of the table and each family member will take what they like and serve it onto their plate.

o Dinner: 6:00-10:00pm. CLOSED ON SUNDAYS

• “Fogo De Janeiro”

o Reservations

o Like a Rodizzio Grill

o Dinner: 6:00-10:00

• “The Grand Buffet Festival”

o Located past the Meeting & Info Point overlooking the square at the SANDOS PLAYACAR Beach section of the resort

o Monday: International Night

o Tuesday: Chef’s Special

o Wednesday: Mexican Night

o Thursday: Sea-Food Night

o Friday: Cowboy Night

o Saturday: Caribbean Night

o Sunday: French Night

o BREAKFAST: 7:00am – 10:30am

o LUNCH: 12:30pm – 3:30pm

o DINNER: 6:30pm – 10:30pm

• “Il Piemonte Buffet” Italian Buffet

o Located behind the Grand Buffet Festival. When you walk down the main avenue in SANDOS Beach take a right at the fountain and walk up the stairs

o Dinner: 6:30-10:30, 7 days a week

• “Iztapalapa”

o Located right on the beach.

o Soft serve ice cream

o Breakfast: 8:00am – 10:30am (Breakfast Buffet)

o Lunch: 12:00pm –5:00pm (International Buffet)

o Dinner: 7:00pm – 10:00pm (Mediterranean/Mexican Buffet, need reservations)

• “Riviera Restaurant”

o Located on the ground floor of the Riviera Lobby

o Breakfast: 7:00-11:00

o Dinner: 6:30pm-10:30pm

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

In addition, there is also a very small outdoor buffet that is steps from the "Adults Only" pool.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

i was told the mexican place did not require reservations

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

I think maybe you are thinking of another restaurant. It was located in the Riviera lobby right next door to the Brazilian. When we were there it was closed, so it was not on my list. I THINK I remember hearing that they were moving it to the meeting point on a different thread here on TA, but not sure.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dinner at sandos playacar

The Mexican does not require reservations when it is open.