We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Hi everyone...question for those who have been to Sandos Playacar Beach Resort...

My hubby and I just booked a week at here for Oct 18th - 25th, and we booked the Hacienda Junior Suite, because our agent made it sound pretty good..but I just looked at the resort map, and they look to be the furthest away from everything. Is this the case? If so, what similar type room would you suggest that would be closer to the beach/restaurants?

Thanks for any tips you may have!! :)

Livonia,MI
Level Contributor
282 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Hi wfkesben, We were at Sandos in March and we're going back in 6 weeks. We stayed in the new Riviera section which is farthest away from the beach. We really liked this section inspite of that fact, since the rooms were fantastic. There are pics on the reviews of some of the different room types. Your room is in the middle of the resort & they looked cool from the outside since you get your own little pool for the building. It is a fabulous beach so, I don't know how much you use that pool. It didn't look like very many people did.Some people didn't like our section since it's farthest but, they have some restaurants in that section too. We liked the room so much that we think it's worth it so it's a matter of taste. Their were several pools in the Riviera area including one with a swim up bar which we missed on our last trip since once we discovered the beach we spent our days there. We loved the resort for the room, the beach & beautiful turqoise water and the close location to Playa which we love going to at night. Have a great trip.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

We just returned from Sandos last week, great time. Our family of 4 stayed in the Hacienda #61. It was perfect for us because we like to spend morning and early afternoon at the beach and relax through afternoon at the room, the private pool was perfect for this. Most of the Haciendas had children playing in the pools. More of a family atmosphere. The walk was never a problem. The rooms at the Riviera section are much newer and well appoined. Our Hacienda was part of the Select club upgrade so they are decorated the same as the Riviera rooms. Enjoy. Peace

Livonia,MI
Level Contributor
282 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

negril, I thought if familys were traveling together that the Hacienda's looked like a good set up.It's just my husband and me. Can I ask how much the Select club upgrade was? We're thinking of it so that we can be in the section of the beach that has cocktails served...I know we sound like lushes. :)

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
736 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

dolphin, I would check with web relations at Sandos for cost or ask at check in. Cocktails are very easy to come by no matter your location. : ) Shaded beach area fills up by 9:30-10:00 a.m so the select club area offers you shade without having to get up early. The select club lounge in the meeting point (center of resort) is a nice air conditioned bar and sitting area with upgrade Absolute flavors and good tequila. Most bars serve smirnoff, jim beam, 100 anos tequilla and appleton rum if you request them. Main lobby bar does have Absolute and El Jimador tequila. We found ourselves hanging there more than any other location great place to check email and such, free wifi location. The sports bar (just outside of the meeting point) is a great nightly hang out, the bartenders start the shots flowing and everyone has fun. Peace

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Maybe I will leave the room as is then, if the walk isn't that much.

Another question :) Is the resort walking distance to Playa? Or better to take a taxi?

Thanks once again!

S.

Grosse Ile, Michigan
Level Contributor
894 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

I have walked to Playa from Sandos a couple of times. Took about a half hour. You will walk past a little shopping area on the way and there are some small Ruins just off the sidewalk. Cab ride is about 5 minutes and cost $7. We usually walk there in the early evening and then take a cab back.

Boston
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

We stayed at the Hacienda Jr. Suite when we went for the first time three years ago. Farthest from the beach, yes, but the rooms were beautiful, newly renovated and our room was right next to one of the pools....it was beautiful, often less crowded, had a swim up bar, and we easily got to the main pool/beach/dining areas using the trams that are constantly going back and forth. I was a bit concerned at first, like you, but honestly, the room was spacious, brand new, and worth the short ride on the tram to the beach, lobby, etc. Have fun!

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

My group just returned from a glorious week in the Riviera section. Must admit, on the 96° days it felt like a bit of a walk. But we would do it again in a heartbeat. Absolutely LOVED the resort. The rooms were gorgeous not to mention COLD....which is a must here. Everyday we would walk the path to the beach that passes by the haciendas. Have to agree I did not see much action in any of the private pools. They are fairly close to the adults only pool, which once we found, were at every day. The walk to Playacar was bearable in the heat, but can't imagine walking to town. Maybe if we went another time other than August ;) The taxi was 5 min...70 pesos.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

We're getting ready to book our 2nd trip to Sandos for mid-October, 2011. Last year I think we stayed in the RIviera section where there is a swim up bar. Right now Expedia is offering a deal staying in the Hacienda Junior Suite (although we're just 2 adults, no children). I think it's a decent deal but now I'm wondering. So here are my questions:

1) Isn't the Hacienda Junior Suite in the middle area of the resort? How is this type of accomodation? (Expedia offers a standard room at a higher rate so I'm wondering if the hacienda is old. Seems strange that price is higher for a standard room.)

2) Is the RIviera section the area with the swim up bar? And, is it the furthest from the beach?

3) I think there was a restaurant called something like the "Blue Restaurant" that was open last year. Is that still a restaurant where you don't need reservations?

Sorry, but I'm a little confused about the layout of the resort but I want to make sure about the differences before I book this. Any help is appreciated.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

TRM-I can help you

1) YES it is in the middle. Not sure why the previous poster said its the farthest away. The Haceindas are in between the beach section and the riviera section.

2) Yes, the Riviera section has the only swin up bar and is pretty far away from the beach.

3) If I was home I could insert a link to a map of the resort. It shows where all the restaurants are. Hopefull somebody canhelp you with this.