We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

We are staying in Playa at the Rui Yukatan (all inclusive for the first time), we are not sure how much spends to take for trips/excursions etc.

We would like to do two or three excursions, we will visit Isla Cozumel i'm not sure but i think you hire a golf cart to get around.

Tulum doesn't look too far away down the coast.

I gave seen some excursions that are in the Tulum area where you swim with tutles and in caves i think.

I understand that you have to pay in Pesos not dollers so can anyone tell me how much some of the tours/excursions cost, things like ferry to Isla Cozumel,organised trips to Tulum,any good trips into the jungle.

This is our 25 wedding aniv so i want to make it a holiday to remember.

Thanks

Jim

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

Him

We also stayed at the Yucatan. We got the ferry to Cozumel and from memory it was around $20pp return. We also hired buggies but unfortunately paid a guy on the pier in Plays around £46 for the hire of a buggy which we were told came with a driver only to discover that there wasn't a driver at all once we got there. In retrospect we should have waited and probably opted to hire a taxi for an agreed sum to take us round the Island.

We went with Edventures down to Tulum/Akumal to swim in cenotes and with turtles. The cost was $180pp which included private transport to and from the hotel, zip lines, cliff jump, Tulum ruins, cenote swim & swim with turtles. Lunch & underwater camera package was over and above. Lunch was around £50 for four of us including drinks & camera package was €20(well worth it)!

We also did a boat trip to Isla Mujeres which we booked at Wallmart & cost €65pp. The waterspouts centre at the Yucatan offers much the same for €89pp but you travel on a Catamaran & no's are limited. Not the case on our trip so the extra is probably worth it!

We found the prices quite expensive in comparison to other countries we have visited so spent the most we've ever spent whilst on an AI holiday. We did get out and about though, had a good few meals and drinks out with the hotel so it all adds up.

Depends how much time you want to spend off resort.

Enjoy your holiday.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

Jim

We also stayed at the Yucatan. We got the ferry to Cozumel and from memory it was around $20pp return. We also hired buggies but unfortunately paid a guy on the pier in Plays around £46 for the hire

of a buggy which we were told came with a driver only to discover that there

wasn't a driver at all once we got there.

In retrospect we should have waited and

probably opted to hire a taxi for an

agreed sum to take us round the Island.

We went with Edventures down to

Tulum/Akumal to swim in cenotes and

with turtles. The cost was $180pp which

included private transport to and from

the hotel, zip lines, cliff jump, Tulum

ruins, cenote swim & swim with turtles.

Lunch & underwater camera package

was over and above. Lunch was around

£50 for four of us including drinks &

camera package was $20(well worth it)!

We also did a boat trip to Isla Mujeres which we booked at Wallmart & cost

$65po. The waterspouts centre at the

Yucatan offers much the same for $89pp

but you travel on a Catamaran & no's

are limited. Not the case on our trip so the extra is probably worth it!

We found the prices quite expensive in comparison to other countries we have visited so spent the most we've ever spent whilst on an AI holiday. We did get out and about though, had a good few meals and drinks out with the hotel so it all adds up.

Depends how much time you want to spend off resort.

Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 15:36
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

We went with Jay Fletcher of Your Private Tour (currently rated #1 of all the tours). Included was Tulum ruins, Akumal (snorkel with the turtles), Yal-Ku, full sit down lunch at Oscar y Lalos and a wonderful guide for the whole day 8:30am to approx. 6pm. Amazing experience!

http://www.yourprivatetour.com

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g150812-d18…

We did go to Cozumel for the day but the other trip we enjoyed even more was Isla Mujeres.

Happy Anniversary! :-)

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

We loved Xel-Ha snorkling/Tulum ruins tour the snorkling includes food and drinks plus bus ride.Shop in Playa 5th ave.good deals to have.I always buy there vanilla down there.If you buy any make sure the first ingreadiant on the back starts with pure vanilla. not !! water .Makes the best cookies.Good luck and have fun we leave in Oct for our 8th time down there .

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

hi guys

when pricing things up on here does $ mean US dollars or mexican pesos as most people advise use local currency and then quote $180 eg

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

most of the time its us dollars

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
100 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

There is a Cuban bar right on or close to 5th Ave that gives dance lessons each night. Their mojitos are superior. Name is lost in my long-term (lack of) memory.

The Ferry to Cozumel is in the heart of town and I think it also goes to Isla Mujeres but it might be a different ferry, since Isla is north and closer to cancun.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

The ferry at Playa del Carmen does not go to Isla Mujeres (sounds like the OP must be thinking of the latter when they said you rent golf carts to get around).

To get to Isla Mujeres from Playa, you take the bus to Cancun centro, then a taxi to one of the ferry ports (Puerto Juarez, or Gran Puerto) - ferry is 140 pesos round trip, leaves once every half hour, and takes about 20 minutes each way. :)

Cuban bar- El Bodequita del Media, maybe?

9. Re: First time in Playa Del Carmen what to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:18