We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I realize the size difference between these two resorts. How does the service/accommodation/food/beach compare? We are looking at booking swim up in early December.

oh
Level Contributor
487 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I cannot comment on Secrets but I can tell you about EDM - the service there was the best I have ever expereinced in traveling to AI for at least a dozen years. The staff there really make you feel welcome and part of their family. Food is fantastic and if you dont see anything on the menu you like they have no problem accomodating - beach is beautiful and due to the small size of the resort never a problem getting a beach bed or chairs - there are no crowds - swim up rooms are really nice - try to get one closest to the beach area.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I've stayed at Secrets Silversands and El Dorado Seaside Suites. While they were both great, the El Dorado is my choice. Karisma is still the best AI resort company in my opinion. I even visited their Azul Sensatori property and loved it there, too!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I would absolutely choose EDM over SMB. Grounds, beach (lots of space on the beach at EDM versus SMB) and layout are nicer, as well as two pools.

I agree that the food at Karisma is really good and certainly better than we had at Secrets Capri (2 stays) and SMB (three visits with meals).

The swim up rooms at EDM are really nice as well.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

Thank you for your opinions! I am really surprised that nobody favoured SMB. Good food is very important to us. Looks like EDM wins in that category!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

If food is your deciding factor, than go with what the others are saying, just remember that food is extremely subjective. I think the food at Secrets is the best AI food I have had in Mexico, but I have not stayed at EDM, but I know the beach at EDM very well having walked on it over 25 times.

I don't agree with them on the beach comparision. Even though they are both on Maroma, Secrets is in a wider spanse of beach and has no obstructions in the water. Secrets is on a better stretch of beach.

EDM has Marina Maroma next to it which has jet ski's and boats coming and going all day long.

In front of EDM, there are long blades of grass in the water and those ugly sand bags. Big difference between the beaches IMO. I am not factoring in how many sunbeds are available or how crowded the beaches are. EDM is smaller so it goes without saying that there will be last people.

Enjoy your stay and let us know what you think when you return.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

While I have not been to EDM I have been to Maroma and Love it there. We thought the food was wonderful and the beach Spectacular with lots of room. The service was great and it is a good size resort - not too small but not all that large either. We enjoyed meeting people at the lobby bar in the evning.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

hello caviargal. Thanks for your opinion! The food is better at EDM? How was the beach/service?

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I agree that trying to make a decision about food based on someone elses opinion is often a bad idea. We never had a bad meal at SMB, in fact all were above average...it is such a subjective matter.

The beach though is pretty straight forward, IMHO, SMB is definitely on a better stretch of beach, no sand whales, no boats or even worse jet skis coming and going...it was a deal breaker for us. The service on the beach at SMB is great you will rarely be without a drink and they will bring you lunch if you wish.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

I would definitely choose El Dorado Maroma! I have only been to Secrets Capri and El Dorado Royale and there was no comparison. We have been to the area about 15 times and feel the food and service is superior at El Dorado and all of the Karisma owned properties. In my opinion the service was very slow at Secrets. We literally witnessed people fighting for lounge chairs by the pool at Secrets Capri, this was a huge turn off for us. The employees go out of their way to pamper and spoil you at ED. I have recommended this chain of resorts to all of my family and friends and we hope to return again soon.

We love all the canopy beach beds for two they have and their spas are excellent too!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma vs El Dorado Maroma

<How was the beach/service?>

We thought the beach was lovely. Though the beach at SMB is beautiful, it felt crowded to us and we prefer the space between the chairs and beach beds at EDM. The 4 chairs to a palapa at SMB is just not what we enjoy. The whales were not an issue for us but they really bother some people. I see it as a way to protect the environment so am glad the resorts takes that precaution. As for the marina, you can use the beach at the opposite end of the resort. well away from the marina.

I prefer smaller resorts that have character to large resorts that look like they can be located anywhere and EDM wins in that regard as well.

I agree that food is subjective and we have stayed at several resorts that get rave reviews on TA for food and could not figure out what the fuss was about. Karisma resorts IMO and IME have really good food for all inclusive resorts and we rate the food there very highly, The best food we have ever had at an AI is Grand Velas, followed by LeBlanc. I place the El Dorado resorts next on the list, above Secrets, Iberostar Grand, Excellence PM and more.

These resorts are apples and oranges so really best to figure out if you be happier with a larger or smaller resort.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 19:22