We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

Deep River, CT
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

My husband and I and my sister and her boyfriend are going to The Royal Playa del Carmen in January and are booked for a week in Royal Jr Suites (I think these are probably the most basic?). For those who have stayed here - we are looking to be relatively close to the beach/pool/restaurants - somewhere not too isolated and far away from everything but not in the noisiest, busiest areas either - where do you recommend we try to choose for our rooms? Thanks!

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
633 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

Here is the room map for the Royal.

https:/…rpdc_rooms.pdf

You will be in green rooms and the half blue/half green. The half/half have a bit of a better view than the green ones.

If you were booked in a Jr Suite Ocean View (blue rooms) you could do online check in 48 hrs prior to arrival and actually pick your room from those that are available.

But alas, the rooms are all the same size except for Master 1 bdrm units and Penthouse so no biggie there.

You won't be close to the beach but lots of options. Personally, I would hope for a room in the Uxmal wing. It's a bit quieter over there but still really close to everything. Good luck!!

Deep River, CT
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

Thanks! I was able to access a resort map from a posting in the forums and wondered what a half green/half blue room was...I'm guessing better than all green but not as good as a blue. Do you recommend upgrading to a Royal Jr suite ocean view? (Going from green to blue) On the resort web site it looks like about a $200 charge to upgrade for 7 nights over the regular Royal Jr Suite. We are pretty active and probably won't spend a lot of time in the room....we are more up and out for the day types...then back to shower and change for dinner and whatever for the evening. The thought of waking up to a beautiful sunrise over the ocean is pretty appealing though..... (although it sounds like the rooms themselves would be essentially the same). We'll definitely do the 48 hr check in on line...hope they actually do give you plenty of choices and don't restrict the options and channel you into the undesirable rooms......

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
633 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

If you want to check in online and pick your room, you HAVE to upgrade to Oceanview Jr Suite. I am pretty sure you can check in online with the 'basic' room but that is it. You can't pick your room.

You will have a better view if you upgrade, so that is a personal preference.

The rooms are exactly the same between the lower catagories, just the view and ammenities you get are different. (ie no Chef's Plate reservations for Jr Suite & Oceanview Jr Suite) All exactly the same size though. (except presidential and master)

So personal preference. I love having a say in what room I am getting.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

If it is within your budget I suggest upgrading to Ocean View so you can pick your room 48 hours ahead. Many of these rooms have excellent views and you may be lucky to be able to choose one. The basic rooms are the same but their locations are not. Many overlook the road. You will enjoy your stay no matter which category you choose but its sometimes nicer to know what you are getting ahead of time. Enjoy your holiday.

Jorgy

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

I would try to book as close to the sea as you possibly can based on your room type. We stay oceanfront and are right by the main pool. Do not worry about the noise,you can hear some during the day hours but it does quiten down in the late day and the evening. The only noise in the early evening is the hot tub crowd who usually have had too much too drink and can't walk to their room lol. But I would stay as close to the sea as your room type allows. You can go to the furthest wing to the north if you want to be a little quieter,it is only a walking path through there and no activities.

Remsen, Iowa
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

We just returned from The Royal a few days ago....wonderful resort! We were in room 352 which was just above the hot tubs. Romy is correct that those rooms can be a bit noisy in the early evening, but it never bothered us as it didnt last long. I will be posting a review with pictures this weekend. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Deep River, CT
Level Contributor
31 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

Thanks to you and all who replied - it is so helpful to hear about other vacationer's first hand experiences! We'll be 2 couples traveling to the Royal in Jan. I would love to hear about what you thought of the food, the various on-site restaurants, the pools and the beach. Did you go over to the sister resort for any meals? Go on any excursions (ie Xcaret)? If you had it to do over again would you choose a different room/building/area? Any insider tips would be greatly appreciated! I think we'll probably upgrade to the Oceanview level just so we don't end up with a view of an elevator shaft next to one of the kitchens!

Remsen, Iowa
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

We didnt do any excursions....did venture out to Veronicas one morning for a massage. HIGHLY recommend doing that!!!! They charged us $66 USD for an hour massage for the 2 of us. Other than that and walking around on 5th ave a couple of evenings, we stayed on the resort. We just werent in the mood to do anything to exerting....LOL.

9. Re: Best room locations at Royal Playa del Carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 08:19