We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

I can't decide!!! Travel agent said we still have time to change resorts...should we?!? The IG would be an $1000+ increase; if it's truly worth it, I am happy to change (my husband would be thrilled with the rounds of free golf) . We would stay with the standard suite at Grand, while would we have a pref. jr. suite at SC. Our travel dates are 11/20-11/27. We've never been to Mexico, so we also want to see some sites, which will take us away from the resort (not sure I'll want to leave if at IG...).

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

I did search the forum before I posted, I was just looking for any "last call" reports/impressions on these 2 resorts...thanks!

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Have only stayed at the Grand it was a great resort and i am returning next may for two weeks, the secrets capri also looks nice i would wonder if its worth changing resorts if you are doing lots of trips .

The rooms at the Grand are lovely and i found the service and the beach and pools to be fantastic but i could not say if its worth an extra $1000.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

That is a lot of money.

We have stayed at both and had the basic room at The Grand and at Capri for our first visit we had oceanfront Jr. Suite and next visit an graden view Jr. Suite. All of Capri is preferred club.

The Grand wins hands down for beach, pools, top shelf liquors, rooms (much larger and more luxe with great beds) and wine selection.

Capri had better food and we preferred the overall ambiance and size of the resort. You do not wear a wristband and do not require reservations for dinner - both of which are necessary at The Grand.

These resorts are really quite different so it very much depends on what you are looking for overall.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Thanks so much for input...so far, we are sticking with Capri. Your feedback is very helpful; maybe we'll save IG for a shorter trip, when we only have a few days to get away and we have no desire to leave the resort. We really do want to take in some of the culture, history and nature...Capri here we come!!

It would be great to get a low cost (or free!!) upgrade to oceanview or OF (we are tropical view jr. suite right now)!!! Any rhyme or reason to getting an upgrade??

Thanks again!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

<Any rhyme or reason to getting an upgrade??>

Ask what the cost would be at check in as it is sometimes lower than booking in advance. If you mean a freebie, I have no advice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Thanks for replies...I still can't the IB Grand out of my head!! (especially after some of the posts regarding muddy ocean floor and a general feeling, from posts, that the SCR is not the resort it once used to be.) If we pay more for another (paid extra 280 for trop view jr. suite) upgrade at SC, we should have just booked the Grand. If it were only for 3-4 days, I wouldn't sweat it, but with a week I'm not sure about decision. Sigh. Sorry for my indecisiveness--I'm also growing weary of myself!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Only you can decide which resort you want to book.

We did not experience a "muddy" beach at Capri during either of our stays and the water is calmer there, though not the gorgeous color it is at The Grand. I was unable to swim in the ocean at The Grand as the water was too rough for me but my husband enjoyed the waves. Beach furniture, set up, privacy and service was better at The Grand. Both resorts had the towel game going on.

I know that we were unimpressed by The Grand in areas of food and service and also dislike their reservation system for dinner. We would not return as there are other resorts we prefer at that price point but others think it is the cat's meow.

Good luck with your decision!

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

If you visit the playa paraiso forum Actran is doing a live post from the Grand she is very informative about the Grand and im sure tells it like it is, i love reading her blogs, if your thinking of visiting the Grand i would read her report.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

I personnally don't feel the Grand is worth it for $1000 extra. I have not stayed at Secrets Capri. Stayed at Secrets Maroma in 2010. From the reviews and pictures of Secrets Capri, can't see Grand is worth it for that money. We stayed at the Grand this Sept. It is a very nice resort, just not worth the price tag (in my opinion). There are a lot of nice resorts for a lot less money.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Capri pref. Jr. Suite or Iberostar Grand Paraiso???

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye on her (as creepy as that sounds!).