We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Topic
Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

We are torn between the Iberostar Tucan or GS

but the reviews are pretty negative about GS. Any beedback or either.

Pennsylvania
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis this past April. We had mixed feelings about this resort. The beach was beautiful and feeding the fish was fun. Our daughter enjoyed the lazy river and water volleyball. We also enjoyed the ice cream shop, coffee shop and smothie bar. We were very disappointed in the food. The ala carte restaurants are ok and the buffet for lunch and dinner was awful. Out of all the AI resorts we have been to the food was terrible here. The rooms are a bit odd with a big circle cut in the wall of the bathroom and the air conditioning can only be set to cool to a certain temp, leaving your room warm. All in all we would not return, we found the Barcelo May Colonial to be much better. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,413 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

I stayed at the GS a few years ago. The rooms are HUGE which is a bonus but little or no drawer/shelf storage which proved a bit tricky with three of us sharing a room. Our "hole in the wall" was filled in with a piece of glass but it wasn't glazed in place in the traditional fashion, rather it was held in place by brackets leaving a four inch or so gap all the way around. The net result is that the bathroom was neither light, sound nor odor proof - but since it was my husband and my then 11 year old daughter, it was no big deal.

We all loved the lazy river and the ice-cream shop; I like the quiet pool and the coffee shop. The food back then was OK but nothing spectacular. I was REALLY disappointed in the beach - it's a small, cove-like affair and not at all conducive to beach walking, my fave vacation activity. I did know the beach was small going in but didn't realise just how small. A big factor in choosing the GS was the snorkelling from shore. Unfortunately, a tropical storm passed through during our stay there and the water was either way too rough or too churned up for snorkelling. Strangely enough, Akumal Beach, just down the coast, was calm and clear. (To be clear, I'm not blaming the resort for ocean conditions, just pointing out that Mother Nature can throw a wrench into one's plans sometimes!)

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial with our daughter earlier this year. I agree with Tootallpa that it's superior to the GS in every way except for perhaps room size .... but I also think it's quite a bit more expensive than the GS too.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

Iberostar Tucan has a better beach, very close to the 5th Avenue. Plus, whole place has very authentic Mexican feeling, while GS is more modern.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

We are booked to stay at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan in January. In January 2010 we spent a week at the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach. The Grand Sirenis is more of a modern interpretation of ancient Mayan architecture. The buildings all have a silouhette that is similar to the big pryamid at Chichen Itza. The beach is lovely and the snorkelling is good. The beach at the IB Tucan is going to be better for sure. The rooms at the Grand Sirenis are lovely and modern and all rooms have a double jacuzzi with a seperate shower. As far as location the IB Tucan is much closer to Playa Del Carmen, and shopping ect. The Grand Sirenis however, is very close to the pueblo of Akumal and if your interested in snorkelling its a $10 dollar cab ride to the beach there ,where you can snorkel with turtles for FREE. Public beach!! There are also great resturants on Akumal beach as well. So it really depends on what your looking for. On our photo website there is a photo video of the Grand Sirenis that may help you decide.

www.jaypeafoto.com

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

Hope the GS is good. We are going there Jan 10th. I see pretty well all resorts have mixed reviews.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

Thanks everyone. I love all your feedback good and bad and sure helps when trying to decide.

Bonduel, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

I stayed here 2.5 years ago. The beach is beautiful HOWEVER, it is horrible for just swimming. Tons of coral. Was extremely disappointed with that. Everything else was wonderful though. So if you prefer swimming in the ocean to the pool rethink this choice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

We had a very nice week at GS!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g499445-d599…

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

We liked it as well and would return for the lazy river and beach. We had No problem with the beach. If you walk to the left you will find a sandy entry to the beach wiith plenty of palapas and excellent snorkling. we enjoyed the courtesy of the staff, had excellent drinks and service. The food was so-so but the buffet had plenty to choose from most days. We had no problems with our room and we did not have the "hole in the wall". They were undergoing a massive renovation when we were there in Sept. of 2010. It is not a luxurious resort but the price is great for what they do have to offer. Plus, tipping here goes a LONG way for drinks and service. The staff is very appreciative and takes care of you.

There is a massive grotto pool with many private lounging areas. My only complaint was the time share pitchmen that approached us every morning for breakfast.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody have anything good to say about Grand Sirenis Mayan

Have talked to several people who have stayed there.....the *ONLY* complaints they had about the resort were all about the not-great beach. Although one guy said the snorkeling was good, so he was happy.