We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

So, My Wife and I stayed at the RIU Playacar a couple of years ago. The Sandos Playacar resort looks pretty amazing.

A few questions about Sandos-

Is it closer to Playa Del Carmen than the Riu's?

Good drinks with decent alcohol- like a dirty martini as an option?

Is it a big resort with lots of options for food, dining, etc?

Better or worse than RIU's in Playacar in your experience?

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

I also just noticed the Barcelo Rivera Maya All Inclusive... how does this compare to the above two?

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

Following this, as I have considered Sandos.

I do know that Sandos is the last resort in PlayaCar, and therefore the furthest to PDC... I actually find that to be a plus... Beautiful undeveloped beachfront to the south... Easy taxi to PDC.

If you look at resort layouts and GoogleMaps of the area, it is all very easy to see. I notice that Sandos is very narrow and deep... Therefore, yes, while not a problem, the walk from the furthest buildings in the newer/nicer Riviera section is a possible consideration. Again, pull up Googlemaps.

I like the look/atmosphere of Sandos, and the location....

My concern is that the food and service are just sub-par.

People have mentioned the infamous Sandos Deal...

But, right now, I am not seeing pricing that seems cheaper at all.

Michigan
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

We are booked for March and found a couple months ago what I thought was a fair price from Michigan on Cheaptickets...$1,145 p.p. includes flight, hotel and taxes. When I check all sites it keeps going up little by little, so glad I booked.

The deal everyone talks about was on Travelocity in February for I believe the spring, summer and fall travel....my son got in on it and paid less than

$900 total for 2 people which included hotel, flight, taxes for May 2011...it was a great deal.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

I've stayed at Sandos & Rius several times - this time we're going all out with Riu Palace Mexico - over Christmas & NYE -- some for a change - some for the variety offered in using several nearby resorts - at Sandos I really suggest paying the upgrade for Select Club - it gets you a reserved space on the beach with drink service - top shelf drinks - internet in 2 SC bars and supurb bartenders -- IMHO SC is the way to go for the busier times of the year (especially holidays)...

Sandos is the furthest away from PDC - a healthy walk - we prefer to walk in & take a taxi back (or use a bike you can from Sandos). We've had wonderful service and pretty decent AI food at Sandos. We've stayed in Beach section (smaller & a bit dated - but clean rooms - and rooms looking out to beach) & Hacienda Jr Suites (about mid resort)... don't mind the walk to restaurants or beach.

It's been a couple years since we've stayed at Rius - but remember vacations there as positive. I do recall more going on at Rius than at what we've recently experienced at Sandos (Sandos does have activities in eve - they just don't go on tooo late).

You can find lots of comments here on both. And I too am waiting for word on the famous "Sandos deal" for our May trip (missed out on that deal earlier in the year)...

Food is sooo subjective -- of all the AI we've stayed at over past 10+ years -(Palaces, Rius, Sandos) I've probably had a couple meals that I didn't like - but never gone hungry!! Resorts have to appeal to so many different palates - that I really think they make an effort please as many as possible (we've never stayed at a real discount AI & some of those I've heard personally from friends that the food wasn't that great)

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

I am one of the people who got the infamous Sandos deal on Travelocity. I think it was some sort of computer glitch and will not be offered again. When Travelocity billed my credit card it was in 2 pieces-one for US Airways ($926) and one piece for the hotel ($98). There is no way that this was done on purpose, just coming from a business standpoint. That would mean they meant to basically let us stay at the resort for a week for almost free.

That being said, I still look for absolutely ridiculous deals, just in case this glitch happens again. :)

manitoba
Level Contributor
301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

Stayed at Sandos last year and thought everything was amazing with the exception of the food (poor variety and availability in the buffet) and drinks (watered down) (maybe due to the busy Christmas season). It was enough for me to not rebook there but try the RIUs this year in early January. Will find out no less than two weeks prior to departure if it will be the Palace, Playacar or Yucatan. Just under $1000 pp from Winnipeg which is a great deal.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

We stayed at the Riu Yukatan last year and Sandos the year before.

Personally, I liked the Sandos better:

- larger resort = more dining options

- Thought the entertainment was better

- More things for the teenage kids to do

The Riu did give you more options as we were able to visit the Tequila and the Riu Playacar.

To answer your question: Sandos is further away from Playa del Carmen than the Riu Playacar. It's actually the last AI in Playacar... it's not bad though... about a 30 minute/$7 cab ride into town.

Enjoy!

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

Hola

Just back from the Barcelo Tropical with upgraded bands, plus 8 other resorts in the area and been to Sandos Playacar 9x. Booked for Dreams Tulum and back to Sandos Playacar in January.

There are plus and minus to every resort. We still like Sandos Playacar for what we pay for over all.

Edmonton, AB Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

If you stay at Barcelo you will have to take a collectivo or taxi to get to Playa Del Carmen

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandos Playacar or RIU's? Some questions...

've stayed at Sandos & Rius several times - this time we're going all out with Riu Palace Mexico - over Christmas & NYE -- some for a change - some for the variety offered in using several nearby resorts - at Sandos I really suggest paying the upgrade for Select Club

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does it cost to upgrade to select club and can it be done at check in?