We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

We're staying in Playa del Carmen (1 couple, no kids) and have chosen to do Flavio Tours to visit Chitzen Itza. We also want to do an AllTourNative Tour, visit Tulum, and see the Xcaret night show. I've read alot of reviews here on which tours are great, etc, which is how I narrowed it down, but I'm curious how best to book all of this to see as much as we can without killing ourselves and without blowing the bank too much. So do we take an Alltournative tour and do the Jungle Maya or Ek Balam excurions, then see Tulum on another day on our own via ADO bus and afterwards see the night show at Xcaret? Or perhaps book a Yucatrek Tour to see Tulum / Xcaret together, instead of doing it on our own? We'll be there a week and plan to do one of these adventures every other day, with beach or pool days in between :) Thanks for the help/advise everyone!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
265 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

We actually did a private tour of Chitzen Itza and Ek Balaam. We included a lunch stop and a swim in a cave cenote. It was awesome and very much doable in one days time. He was a certified guide and full of knowledge about the maya culture. His name was Rafael Gonzalez. I'm sure I have the contact info somewhere if you are interesed. Have a great time! Ek Balaam was awesome!

USA
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

Since you're there only one week I would do the Coba tour instead of Chichen Itza....you can still climb the Pyramid there...Coba is not an all day trip and its one of my favorites....Chichen Itza is an all day trip..besides being more expensive (unless you are you are really into archeology) its a very long bus ride

Have a great time

Scotland
Level Contributor
159 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

stayed at h10 for a week booked with thomsons. did the coba trip which was good you can still climb it . they also took us to a mayan village. DIDNT LIKE IT. would have paid for the trip to coba itself, they also took us to a cenote which was good . YOU must take deet with u for this trip as coba is in the jungle/forest. and the cenote is in the forest. they also stopped at a local traders market, which was still a bit pricey. you are on a bus for a long while. but coba was good to see , they said in 2012 they will be stopping you climbing it. have a great time

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

I'm as anal as they come, but an excursion every other day may be too much. The heat and humidity, combined with the beautiful beaches and the color of that water will keep you on the beach longer than you think. For a trip that is only 7 days, you may find no more than a couple of excursions doable. Chichen Itza with a guide who takes you to and from the site will take 12 hours, and the interior of the Yucatan Peninsula can be unbelievably hot, you will be two tired puppies. Xcaret can take a couple of days to see everything, but just seeing the nightime show for a half day in the late afternoon into the evening would be worth it. There are so many great tours and excursions, but I think you have to narrow it down to two over 7 days. Tulum Ruins can be done on your own, but Yucatreks makes it easy to see the ruins, a couple of cenotes and have lunch on the beach of Tulum.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 00:26
DXJ
High Wycombe
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

Cichen Itza is a "must see" - it's not a world heritage site for nothing! We used flaviotours.com. They're not the cheapest but they take small groups, no more than six, provide a good buffet lunch and a constant supply of refreshments. The guide they use at Chichen Itza (Sebastian?) is excellent and doesn't rush you round just to pick up a fee from another group. The trip also included swimming at a Cenote and stops at a Tequilla distillery (no pressure to buy) and Vallodolid. Flavio will also give you advice on which "locals" restaurants to try in Playa del Carmen. We tried two seafood places and they were excellent and inexpensive.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

Alltournatives is one of the best tours we've ever done. It combines a lot of different aspects of Mexico and you get to truly experience the Mayan culture. I cannot express to you how amazing it really is. We've traveled to many places and done many excursions and tours but Alltournatives is without a doubt one of the most memorable. I suggest it to everyone that I meet who is visiting the area and interested in seeing many things in a limited amount of time. It combines active things with history, food, ruins, and more. You will not be disappointed or exhausted afterward.

7. Re: Which Excurions // Ruins // Tours to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:18