We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM's Beach

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VIM's Beach

Hi All

Can anyone tell me about the beach at VIM sounds like some parts are nice and others rocky. Is there a nice area with palapa's etc ... We went to SMB last year and loved it, but we prefer not to go back to the same place twice........Any other thoughts on comprable Adults only AI's in mexico would be greatly appreciated.........Nice beach for floating around and quality service/food are important to us...........

Thanx

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM's Beach

I honestly think the beach at the VIM is a victim of so much misinformation. I've been there three times and whilst beach conditions do vary with Mother Nature's whims, here's the deal - there is a big, roped off swimming area which is totally, 100% rock free. The rest of the beach is, for the most part, rock free, so totally available for lounging, playing volleyball, walking etc.

The rocks that are there are right at the water's edge - which means that you can't access the ocean for a swim just anywhere. This is more of an issue as you head south - so from the "quiet" beach and the "deserted" beach down by the Emerald buildings, you really can't access the water at all. However, when I was last at the VIM (about two months ago), there was a LOT more sand along the entire beach than at previous visits. From the quiet beach, I was able to wade more than knee deep into the water - enough for a quick cool-down splash but not enough to swim.

Oh, and yes, there are palapas.

Now, all that said (and taking into account that I'm a reknown cheerleader for the VIM), the beach at the VIM can't hold a candle to the one at Secrets Maroma. However, the VIM has no immediate neighbours (unlike Secrets), so you rarely see ANYONE other than VIM guests at the beach. IMHO, from an adult-only perspective, I think this is a good thing. I know that at Secrets Maroma and the Iberostar Grand, whilst the resorts are adult only, once you get on the beach, you can see (and possibly hear) the kids from the neighbouring resorts. Whether or not that's an issue is something only you can decide.

One other thing to consider, most people consider the VIM a bit of a step down from Secrets Maroma Beach. On the other hand, it's usually priced considerably cheaper too.

Another adults only with a very loyal following and great beach is the Catalonia Royal Tulum - you might want to check that out before making your decision.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 17:53
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM's Beach

VIM beach and CRT beach are both awsome. VIM IMO has the edge just because is so much larger and you are not packed like sardines, unlike at CRT. Agree here with Llisa that VIM beach has no immediate neighbours (unlike Secrets), so you rarely see ANYONE other than VIM guests at the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM's Beach

Thank You Llisa & Sig for this info---Lots to consider before heading back to Mexico.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM's Beach

Also, you mentioned wanting to "float around" in the ocean. When we were there (it was in an October) there was no way the waves would have allowed us to float in the ocean at all-the swells were way too high In fact, I was only able to swim one of the days-the others had red flags and were too dangerous. Not sure if it was just the weather, or if it is the physical location of the VIM beach. There are some resorts that have a reef out front which cut down significantly on the waves.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM's Beach

I don't think it's the physical location - I've seen the ocean from too rough to swim in to millpond smooth. I think it depends upon the weather.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM's Beach

Been to several resorts in Playa including to the Vim TWICE.

And both times, the ocean and beach were completely opposite.

First time, smooth, clean, no rocks, calm - glorious.

The second time - impossible. Even the roped off area was filled with rocks. It was to rough, the waves so high, that it was impossible to go in - you were knocked off your feet only to land on painful large rocks!

So go figure. It was an eye opener to us that the ocean isn't as consistent in Playa as some other destinations - ie Punta Cana, Negril Jamaica, etc.

That said have been to Grand Palladium (Akumel / Tulum) twice and both times the ocean was lovely. We also had great beach experience at the Royal Playa Del Carmen.

Not good beach experience at Royal Hideaway and Excellence Riviera Cancun.

HOWEVER, you mentioned that you want to "float" in the ocean....my idea of ocean floating is our experiences in jamaica - negril in particular where the water is so incredibly calm that you literally float all day long.....we have never had that kind of experience in Mexico.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM's Beach

Smitty- Good to know re: the VIM. One of these days I will bite the bullet and try Jamaica. Right now there is no way to get there from BOI without having an overnight in FL.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM's Beach

Mayan beaches come and go depending on mother nature and What time of the year it is.

Through the years we usually travel down there in march and aprl with an ocasional trip in july during march and april there are many red flag days along the coast. Sometimes they even close PDC's port so no watersports take place.

A surfer explaned it to me a 20 years ago when we were spending alot of time in St Martin/St Maarten He said when cold fronts reach the tropics the result is wind and waves on a small island like St Martin if its windy and high surf on one side of the island all you really have to do is go to the other side of the island and the beach and water will be calm.

In the case of the Mayan Riveria you only have one side There is no "other side" like an island. All you can do is wait it out. If the wind and waves come in at a certain angle you get beach erosion. This is why the one poster said one time the beach was smooth the other time it was rocky.

If you really want to see some of the effects of this all you have to do is look at some of the beach piuctures posted here a few years back from RIU Playacar hotels and the Iberostar tuscan back a few years ago. The resorts back then built stairways down to the beach. If you look at those beaches today there back to normal.

When we've gone down in July things tend to be calmer but if there's a hurricane in the distance you will get wind and waves crashing on the beach. Hurricanes are known for rearranging beaches.

There really is no answer to the question all you really can do is pick a week and hope for the best. You can't control the weather

token22

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM's Beach

In September we went to DR for the first time. The resort we stayed at had mixed reviews on the beach. Some people said it was gorgeous while others complained it was knee deep in seaweed. For our first 3 days it was gorgeous. On day four the sea got rougher and suddenly we had tons of seaweed on the beach.

It depends on the oceans conditions.

Edited: 17 November 2011, 20:45
Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIM's Beach

I remember that erosion all to well token.We were at RIU PLayacar.All the loungers were side to side.It was a terrible experience if you are beach people..