We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi There

We will be staying at Riu Tequila from 9th January for 2 weeks. How bad are the mosquitoes at this time of year what works best to try and not get bitten?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

I general, the mosquitoes are not bad that time of the year. However, to be safe, take a repellant that has at least 25% DEET in it.

Edited: 24 November 2011, 13:51
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

get ultrathon from 3M it has deet in a slow release formulation. picardin products also are good. permethrin products are for spraying your clothes and is also a good idea.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

How about in early March??? And any idea how skin so soft from Avon works???

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

ASSS does very poorly in tests. read post 2

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Mosquitos tend not to be a problem except in the rainy (read that hurricane season). We've been to the Riviera Maya the last three Decembers without any problems with mosquitos. We've also been there in September and almost got eaten alive. I would say you probably are safe from December til June.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Plymouth Devon
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

hi jammy 18

we will be staying in the Tequila from the 5th jan for 2 weeks,

i always suffer from mozzies,we get boots own make 50% deet,works well.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

be safe, as long as you get a make with 50% deet, Jungle Formula or something you will be ok. Spray in the am and then round teatime, especially round your ankles, u'll be safe in bed too then

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

I recommend using multiple active ingredients - for example some DEET and some Picaridin (KBR3023, Bayrepel, Icaridin or Saltidin) and/or a product containing OLE.

There is also RID (Australian - got ours over the Internet from England) - we loved it in Africa - it contains Three (3) insect repellents, including a Fly repellent.

RID TROPICAL STRENGTH INSECT REPELLENT CONTAINS: 19.5% DEET plus two additional repellents, including a FLY repellent, Antiseptic to kill a wide range of bacteria, Vitamin E for moisturizing, Chamomile for its soothing relief, and Triclosan (an anti-bacterial/ inflammatory agent).

"RID will protect you from all biting bugs (mosquitoes, sand flies midges, ticks, fleas and TSETSE flies), mosquito borne diseases, and those pesky flies, ants and leeches."

Since RID contains soothing and after-bite stuff, you don't need anything else (except, perhaps, a SAFE sunscreen [many sunscreens {50%?} are considered harmful to your health]).

SafariInfo - a private individual who researches Everything before doing

www.woodsmall.com

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
639 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

We were at the Tucan from Nov 3rd thru the 10th and had zero issues with mosquitos, we didn't bring any spray and never needed it. I think between the 2 of us we ended up with maybe 5 bites total and spent a lot of time walking thru the jungle area.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

we have been going every winter for past 15 yrs- have nevet seen a mosquito