We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

We've done this a dozen times but I just can't remember - imagine that! We have a group of 60 & want to tell them what to expect going thru immigration etc... upon arrival @ the Cancun airport. I remember debarking the plane & going to a secured area. At that time we go thru immigration but do we get our luggage first? Think we go thru immigration & then get our luggage but do we then have to get in another line w/ our luggage? Someone please walk me thru! Most of our people have done all this before but have a few newbies. Thank you!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Yes you are correct. After you get off the plane you will first go through immigration. Next, you pick up your luggage and then wait in line to g through customs with your luggage tha will be screened.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

After you deplane you will head to immigration. They will stamp your tourist card, please don't lose it. After you leave immigration you then proceed to baggage claim to retrieve your luggage. Then head to Customs where you will through a line and then have your luggage scanned in an X-ray machine. You then give your custom form to an official (bring a black or blue pen to fill that out on the plane) and then one person in your party hits the button for red light green light. If you get the red light all your luggage will be searched. After leaving customs then proceed to leave the terminal. Just before you exit the building you will be descended upon like locust by the Timeshare people, they pretend they will help you with your transportation. No matter how many times I tell first timers about their approach, they fall into the trap and precious vacation time is wasted. Head outside to find your transportation.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

As OT3 says, "don't lose your tourist card" - it's just a small stamped piece of paper but will cost about $150 (if I recall) if you lose it. I stuck mine in the cover of my passport.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Relax: there's no way to skip a step or go the wrong way or do things in the wrong order at the airport. You just follow the instructions you're given and follow everyone else.

Steve

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

everything OldTraveler3 said....we just got back from a trip. this time we waited forever in the imigration line...that process was so slow this trip. by the time we got to our bags ours were setting off to the side with a few others who were caught in the slow line. its quit easy basically just follow the crowd and don't loose any of that paperwork for your return flight out of there!

San Diego
Level Contributor
524 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Good luck with 60 excitied people - WOW! Hope you have lots of helpers keeping everyone together.

Have Fun!

SD

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

When my posse gets to 8 people it's like herding a bunch of cats. I just can't imagine 60. They do rent big luxury buses for excursions for groups that big.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Just don't talk to the timeshare people who "offer" you a ride. Keep walking straight out the sliding doors until you are competely outside. These are the legit transport people.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Don't forget to remind your group to take pens to fill in the immigration and customs forms on the plane!...and as OT3 said.....make sure they all keep THEIR half of the immigr. form that is stamped and returned.....

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please walk me thru arriving @ Cancun airport!

Another airport/transportation tip - especially with such a large group of people.

WATCH YOUR LUGGAGE!

One year we went with about 30 people and we lost our 12 year-old son's luggage. The transportation group lines them up outside of the bus and then loads them. It's likely that our son's suitcase got loaded on the wrong bus. On the bright side, it couldn't have happened to a better member of our family. I can't imagine the 7 days in Playa had it been our 16 year old daughter's luggage.

Ever since our luggage incident, my husband stands outside the bus until he's sure our luggage (primarily his golf clubs) get loaded on the bus before he'll get on the bus.

Have a great trip!