We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I in the Right Place?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Am I in the Right Place?

I am not sure where I am supposed to post for questions on the Valentin. Is it Playa or Cancun or Riviera Maya or just plain old Mexico?

I just finished reading a rather lengthy thread on this hotel and was wondering.........

1) Is it a fabulous place during the busy season like January? The aforementioned thread seemed to centre around July and the lack of service and quality when it was slow.

2) I see a lot of people saying things like "see you at the Emerald Suites!" which refers to the room category they booked I believe. Is this one of those resorts with "levels" of guests like Sandals? Please say it isnt!

3) Is there somewhere to have an ala carte breakfast?

Edited: 01 December 2011, 06:06
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

I always read reviews of the property for the same time of year I will be staying. You can page through the reviews to last January and you will get a more accurate feel.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
656 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

Good advice from bryna123 re: same time comparison.

Stayed there in April and the resort was full. Service was fine and the place was terrific in my opinion.

Emerald refers to the level of suite you book (silver, gold, etc...)

We stayed in silver and it was great. No jacuzzi on the balcony though.

Those suites all get the same service. If you want special treatment you need to get the "Privelege" package which gives you a reserved Bali style bed at the pool and Palapa at the Beach.

IMHO - skip the extra cost and just get up early to save your favorite spot (yes the towel game is furious in high season).

I generally went down to the beach/pool around 6:30-7:00am and got pretty much any spot I wanted although there were already some reserved at that early hour.

Have Fun!!

Edited: 01 December 2011, 16:25
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

Unless they've change things, there isn't a Bali type bed at the pool. There is a wooden frame with some sheeting for shade, but there isn't any bed there, just loungers but they do have a pad on them.

On the ala carte breakfast they seem to change between ala carte and cafeteria style at Mare and Terra. So I think it depends.

January is actually the low part of the high season. Christmas is the highest season and you will see deals for January (indicating not as busy). February through the middle of April is the high season.

I tend to read the reviews on all the seasons since there may be deal breakers people talk about anytime of the year.

We go back in less than two weeks for our fourth stay at the Valentin. We really like the resort. We don't get the privilege package as we would rather use the money for a longer stay (we'll be there for 10 days in December).

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

Thanks everyone!! I was doing some reading of old threads last night and it sounds like all of the restaurants are pretty dressy. Is this true? Will hubby have to wear long pants and dress shoes to all of them?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

Long pants are required at the french restaurant. Dress shorts and shoes like docksiders should be fine at the other restaurants. Jan. should be cooler in the evenings so, he might want to do with khakis.

6. Re: Am I in the Right Place?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:17