We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Secrets capri...

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Topic
Live from Secrets capri...

This place is absolute heaven...don't listen to the bad reviews!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,295 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

flloyd...................what's the weather like right now.................pls. and thanx...

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

great...we are up at 6am and its cloudy but by 10 am its lovely!!!!!

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

Is the beach area improving?

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

yes please... how's the beach?? one week to our stay... hoping for the best.

since the pool water rumored to be freezing.

how is the temp, period? it's been only low 70s day, low 60s night according to weather.com.

is it windy around beach/pool? are there xtra blankets in the room?

we were at CR Tulum same time last December and it was so cold at night..we're talking COLD.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

Just came back from resort next to Secrets Capri and concerning the beach all I can say since May these year the beach almost disappeared . While Blue Bay had the worst beach I have ever seen in comparison to Secrets and Ocean Maya, right now the best beach is actually at Blue Bay. Sorry to say but basically the beach is almost unswimmable. So if anybody going for the beach pick another resort.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

Ahh Sig, you breakka my heart ;-(.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

muscledfuture

It broke my heart too. I did not realize that the beach in this area is pretty much man made. My understanding is that they put sand on top of mangroves and last tropical storm washed everything off. So you have branches sticking out from the water. Also the Ocean Maya palapas which were in the first row from the water about 30 feet away are now are right at the edge, so at high tight you cannot use them. At Secrets they were removing branches by hand whole week to no avail. When I was there in May Blue Bay had no swimmable beach and now like the resorts switch the beach, Blue Bay looks good, while Secrets and Ocean Maya is bad.

Edited: 12 December 2011, 16:44
Mentioned in this post
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

"since the pool water rumored to be freezing."

The pool is divided in two sections, one section is heated and the other isn't.

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

we were in the pool all day...the heated side is lovely...nobldy in the other side!!! The beach isn't as bad as people say...we haven't been in the ocean but its short

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from Secrets capri...

We were at Capri late June of this year. The beach was sandy. There are a few roots that come up by the trees but that is to be expected. The water to the far right of the resort is sandy bottomed and excellant to be out in. The color is dependent on storms as well as the sea grass. Because there was a storm comint in the water was a little cloudy but, there was always someone raking up the grass.

The beach is wide enough for three sets of chairs. In comparison to the other Secrets Properties, I would rank it second on the beach. Maroma is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world but then you pay for it also.

SSS has true ocean front rooms. I liked the decor, the bedding and the size of the rooms at SSS the best. I loved the bar that jets out over the beach. It is beautiful at night to sit there with a drink and watch the cruise ships go by.

The customer service there needs to be improved upon. There is a definite difference in your treatment based upon what room catagory you have. They are also not as accommodating as at Capri or SMB. Keep in mind the beach sucks. It is narrow and the water is rock filled. I see they are attempting to build an artificial beach like the Moon Palace. If they are successful, I would return to this resort for the price.

Capri wins with the charm. They do romantic dinners on the beach better than the other two. Their ocean front restaurants are also very good. (keep in mind you are in Mexico and not New York City. If that is the type of food you are looking for - to there then. Their spa is by far the nicest also. My biggest disappointment was no theater. The resort is a grand lady but it needs updated.

SMB - what can I say. Pure Heaven. The price reflects it.

Check out my review and if you have questions, PM me - I'll do my best to answer them. We are trying the Valentin this year and I'm a bit nervous about it. I know what to expect at a Secrets resort and I'm a bit spoiled.

Mentioned in this post