We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma in May 2012

Bella Vista...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma in May 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions I am hoping you can help with me with since this is mine and my husband's first trip to Mexico and first AI experience. We are booked at Secrets Maroma the last week of May. My questions are below, and I'm hoping there's not too many! Thanks in advance!

1. What is the ocean condition generally this time of year? Calm/clear? I am hoping because we don't want too many waves and would love the water clarity to be excellent (clearest water I've seen is FL Keys :) I've been looking at pictures of Cozumel, is it at least that clear?

2. Is there quite a ways to walk out before the water gets deep?

3. We would like to snorkel, probably in Half Moon Bay, and the goal is to see some coral, fish, and other marine life. It's my understanding we need to go elsewhere in Akumal to see the turtles, but I'm more interested in snorkeling around a reef or rocks where more fish would be. Is Half Moon Bay good for this, esp in May?

4. For those who have stayed at SMB, what is the best room/building for the swim out (non-preferred club)? We have a swim out but I hear there are better locations than others.

Cary, North Carolina
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

Hi Gator fan,

We were at SMB in October of 2010 and will be there the same time as you at the end of May for my husband's 50th birthday. We've been to Mexico quite a few times but we've never been snorkeling there. Well, we did take a catamaran out one time in February but it ended up being a cold and rainy day so we never got off the boat because we were freezing. Those that braved the weather said the snorkeling was great.

The beach at SMB is beautiful, the best we have seen in Mexico. The water is clear and some days are calm and other days there are waves. We had a lot of fun playing in the surf when we were there. I wouldn't say you could go out real far, maybe 30 feet to chest high. We stayed in a swim-out suite near the lobby. We had sun only in the morning so we stayed there in the morning and then went to the pool or ocean in the afternoon so it worked for us. For your first time to Mexico and an AI you picked one of the best!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

We have been to the Mayan Riviera but not to SMB -- yet. Just chiming in to say that we'll be there the same week as you. :-)

(And if anyone can recommend the best preferred club swim-out building or room in terms of privacy, I would appreciate it!)

Cary, North Carolina
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

The swim-out suites are much more private than most resorts because there is a lot of vegetation around them. That's good (privacy) and bad (mosquitos) so bring lots of spray or candles. We weren't in preferred for our first trip but we will be in preferred in May. We've stayed in touch with our concierge so we'll find out from him the best location. We shared our swim-out with 5 other rooms. We met the couple next to us and we partied with them every day. We had the mini-bar guy bring us buckets of beer. We never saw anyone else from the rooms in our building use the swim-outs. We really didn't see a lot of other people using their swim-outs but that may be because they are fairly private.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

The water and beach are beautiful. They offer some tours for snorkeling that are really fantastic. We took one tour that we rode jet skis out to the boat and they took us to an area in the ocean that is preserved - down in Cancun area.

We did another snorkeling tour where they took us two different places to snorkel, to a cenote to jump into followed by a barbecue chicken lunch. Great fun!

Bella Vista...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. We were actually first booked at Paradisus La Perla, but I just got too nervous about the beach and ocean not being all that great. I feel much better now that we've switched. It's nice to "meet" some people before we even get there!

We actually are looking for some good off the beach snorkeling as opposed to taking a tour. We don't mind taking a bus somewhere, like to Akumal, we just don't really want to pay for an excursion I don't think. I know it's fun to see the turtles in Akumal, but I was looking more for coral, fish, ect. Does anyone have any advise on where to go for this right off the beach?

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

Best non preferred swimout for privacy and sun would be in the center of buildings 14 or 15. No one will be able to walk by your room being that you are in the center of the building and because those buildings are on the north side of the resort you will get a ton of afternoon sun to warm up the water for night time swimming.

The best preferred club swimout room would be in building 16 for the same reasons listed above.

The ocean water that time of year should be pretty clear and warm for the most part. Some days the water will be a bit wavey but its a blast to go out and jump the waves. ( From the beach its funny as hell because you see about 100 people out in the water jumping up and down). You can venture out pretty far before the water gets to neck level. I would say a couple hundred yards.

Snorkeling?? Akumal Bay!! You wont be disappointed! You can rent equipment from one of the shops right on the beach. You will see many beautiful fish, huge sea turtles, a bunch of sting rays, etc... There is a giant reef in Akumal, it is a ways out but if you are a decent swimmer it shouldnt be a problem.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

The water is beautiful at SMB, but doesn't compare to Cozumel in my opinion. Coz is so much more calm and clear. However, the actual beaches in Coz aren't quite as nice.

8. Re: Secrets Maroma in May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:17