We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungle Place price increase

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Jungle Place price increase

I see that the Jungle Place has increased their prices to $80 from $50. When factoring the cost of transportation -$50 minimum – to get there, is this still a decent value and something worth doing? They are claiming the increased costs are due to taking on more monkeys, but it’s fairly substantial especially considering that it was $30 back in 2008 (looking at old posts).

Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungle Place price increase

I'm glad you posted this, I was wondering the same thing. I was just on their site last night and saw the notice. I know it is likely amazing, but they say the visit is around 1 hr long. It seems expensive.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungle Place price increase

I would have maybe done it on a future trip for $50 but now I think I will look to do other things. $80 is a little steep for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungle Place price increase

$80 to play with monkeys for an hour is ridiculous. how it this place playing off as non profit?

rio secreto went up $10 recently too i think but it's still cheaper than $80

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungle Place price increase

Yea there are a couple of things. 1. The price increase does suck considering this price point now is higher than alot of other activities and 2. My understanding is that this was essentially a sanctuary primarily rather than a license to print money.

Trying to play it off due to increased costs (as per their site) seems questionable. Either say nothing as to why the price increased or be honest and say you want to make more money off it.

With the cost of transportation it's very pricey

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungle Place price increase

I visited in October and paid 50, if it has increased to 80 i would still pay it as the experience was fantastic and worth every penny, we were there for almost 3 hours and had great fun playing and cuddling the monkeys - something we would never have the opportunity to do in the UK. Although i agree thats a big price jump!

Heid and Joel only do 2 days a week where they allow visits to the sanctuary, if it was just about making money they could easily be doing this 7 days a week

calgary
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungle Place price increase

I love how people reach unflattering conclusions about others who they don't even know based on absolutely no evidence. The owners of the Monkey Place are constantly being asked to take in more abandoned and abused monkeys that can't be returned to the wild. They have a hard time saying no. The new monkeys have to be fed and food costs money.

If you think it is too much don't go but please refrain from speculating about people's motives. A license to print money? I sure don't think so.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jungle Place price increase

Hmmmm, I have booked my tour for our February trip and paid the deposit. I will be curious to find out if I still have the 50 pp rate or will pay the increased price at the time of our visit.. Either way my boys will be so thrilled as will I :) I am looking forward to it!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jungle Place price increase

We went there a few years ago and they are doing this for the monkeys not to become rich. It is very personalized tour and well worth it. If they were going to cash out they would have moved the monkeys close to the resorts and do massive tours. Joel and Hiedi are great people and should not be slammed here by people that do not know their true financial situation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jungle Place price increase

I just paid a deposit for a Feb visit and my deposit was $50. So I will bring extra money in case the price is $80 each, but really, does it matter? What is a few dollars for A) a rare opportunity and B) helping a worthy cause.

I haven't even been to The Jungle Place yet but I already know I'll be satisfied with spending my hard-earned vacation money there as opposed to a cattle herd tour on a big bus to some overpriced attraction.

I mean really, this smells like a bunch of caca. People pick apart TJP's motives for a price increase but then I bet anything they are the same people paying a very inflated price for "snorkeling with the turtles" or whatever. Probably the same people who are never satisfied with their mega resort they were willing to pay hundreds per night for.

Uh oh, now I've gotten started.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jungle Place price increase

You could always visit Punta Laguna Reserve near Coba ruins (make it a two for one day and stop at a cenote after the ruins) but not sure if there are any tours that run there and you do not get to cuddle with the monkeys in their cage like at The Jungle Place.