We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma Beach

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma Beach

Hi everyone,

After a lot of research and going through reviews I think we have decided on SMB for our honeymoon in March... I have a few questions tho...

Where is the best standard room to stay in?

Is there any good snorkelling nearby?

Is there eough space by the pools / beach to have some sort of privacy when sunbathing, ie are you lying right next to someone :)

Is the food here good? We love steak, burgers, chicken, sushi, stir frys, pancakes and I have a sweet tooth :) I have seen a few reviews where people rave about the food and then some where people think it's below average (but still score the hotel 5 our of 5)

Is the hotel likely to be full the middle 2 weeks of March, as I have heard can have trouble getting a bed / service drops a little as they are busy?

Does the hotel offer any deals on upgrades on check in?

Sorry for all the questions... we have been together 10 years and just got married and want it to be the best holiday ever as I'm sure soon enough we will have little people to start paying for :)

Any tips anyone has would also be very much appreciated :)

Thanks so much x

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

We have stayed at SMB and liked it so much we recommended to our son for his honeymoon. We had a preferred club swim-up but honestly, other than the private lobby which we used infrequently, I don't believe it's worth the extra money. My son and his wife had a regular swim-up and loved it. Most of the rooms have the same layout and furnishings the exception being the oceanfront rooms.

Food is excellant, the beach is to die for and the staff wonderful. SMB is the flagship of the Secrets Resorts. I've never been there in March. My guess is that it may be pretty full.

Anyone else able to help out with this?

New York
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

The best standard room would be the top floor so you could see a little of the ocean. Ask for ocean view room if that is important to you. That will put you on the 4th floor which is also the quietest floor. Immediately upon arrival (or have travel agent indicate on your paperwork or both) tell whomever is checking you in that it is your honeymoon. If they are not full that might get you an upgrade. There is no good snorkeling nearby. You will either have to book a snorkeling excursion or walk down to El Dorado Maroma and book a trip from the Captian near the pier. The chairs around the pool and on the beach can easily be moved around if you are too close to your neighbors. We enjoyed all the food there. If one restaurant doesn't work for you, walk out and go to another. I think this is a very popular hotel and always busy.

3. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:19