We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

As per new rules issued by the US Dept. of Transportation, airlines and tour operators have to advertise the actual price of airline tickets including all taxes and some other rules which I think is great for traveling public:

cnn.com/2011/…index.html

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

Yes. Apple Vacations is finally updating their site. You will now see a total AFTER TAXES on their site.

This makes it so much easier to compare to other sites, like Travelocity, that always did post the total price upfront.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

I am so glad we have this in Holland for a very long time allready

Chestermere
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

We in Canada have had Trip Central for years and this site always shows the prices incl. taxes plus they show all resorts in area(playa del carmen etc) on one page which has always been a big help when comparing resorts in the area you plan on touring.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

I've always known the actual price of the package. Credit cards are charged separately for air and hotel. Tour operators disclose the taxes, insurance, ground transportatio, etc. This is nothing new.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

Not exactly, for example Apple advertising always starts for example with lets say 'from $599*', so I guess what the rules will change they they will actually have to say 'from $799*', I also knew the final price, but many people just don't read the fine print.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

Also the airlines won't be able to advertise $199 round trip NY to Cancun, they would have to be upfront and give the real price inclusive all taxes and fees.

7. Re: Now you should know the actual price of your vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2013, 10:23