We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

musty clothes smell after getting home

st.catharines
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
musty clothes smell after getting home

K can anyone tell me what I can use to take out the smell of the clothes after going away... I find they stink and i have washed my clothes a few times any tips would be great. I don't want to just throw them away....

thanks all from ontario .....

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I find that using white vinegar in your wash does a good job...you can buy a gallon for little $$, use liberally(one or two cups per load). There is NO vinegar smell when the clothes are finished. Hope this helps.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,547 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

Wow - they still smell bad after washing?

My clothes often pick up a musty smell from the aircraft hold (it's not a Mexico thing, I've experienced this when travelling to different destinations) but a quick run through the washing machine and they're nice and fresh again.

Have you checked your suitcase - does it smell badly and/or is there any mould in it?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,350 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I love that smell. But it always goes away in the wash.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

Are you packing wet/damp swim suits in with your other clothes? I would think many hours in a closed environment like that could cause mildew smells.

Anyone ever forgot about a load of towels in the washer? If you leave them in there very long, the smell can be very hard to eradicate. Even after you wash them again. Vinegar sounds like a great idea.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I've never had a problem. Smell went away after one wash. I always let my suitcase air out for at least a day before putting it away again. I think that makes a difference for the next time.

Febreeze has an additive for the wash that's supposed to take smells away. I've never needed it, so I haven't tried it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I use white (clear) vinegar in the wash and in the rinse on a regular basis. It removes odor, some stains and helps to remove soap residue. It also helps to brighten whites and soften clothes, although it won't control static in your clothes. It keeps your washer clear of detergent/softener scum. It is cheap to buy, if you buy the largest size you can. Your clothes don't smell like vinegar when you use it.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 20:09
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

White vinegar...thanks for the tip! We dont usually have a prblem with bad musty smells but last year we were in a room for just under 24 hrs and the must was horrible. Took three washes to get the smell out from that one day in that one room...yuck.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

Comfort then Bounce in the tumble dryer LOL sorry but it reads funny

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
278 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I also air out my luggage for a few days. Then I place dryer conditioner sheets, and perfume samples out of magazines in the luggage, zip it up and store. When I open for the next trip, my luggage smells fabulous:)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: musty clothes smell after getting home

I have never noticed a problem after the clothes are washed. One thing I have noticed...don't leave your suitcase on the floor or any other cement, stone or tile surface. The suitcase will draw the dampness into it and anything that may be inside.