We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichan Itza ?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chichan Itza ?

How far a drive is it? Is there a bus---whats the best way to see it?

Thanks

maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichan Itza ?

Mayan Explorers

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichan Itza ?

We went to Chichen Itza from Cancun and it took 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to get there on a bus trip, not being near the water depending on what time of year you go it can be extremely hot there and you can no longer climb the steps of the El Castillo pyramid... there is actually more to see on a day trip to the ruins in Cabo and Tulum that usually includes a stop at the Xel-ha or Xcaret eco parks for snorkeling, etc.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichan Itza ?

We went to ChichenItza 3 years ago and loved it! We bought our package through the Transat Representative at Gran Bahia Principe Coba - it included the bus ride, lunch, a stop for a quick swim and a chance to go through a market and of course the ruins! I liked these more the Tulum maybe because our tour guide was awesome - Tulum the guide really didn't seem to know squat! If you do decide to go remember you do have a 2 - 3 hour bus ride and I wouldn't suggest having to much to drink the night before! Also when on the bus look for the bathroom - don't sit close to it!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichan Itza ?

We took a Yukatreks tour and loved it. With the tour, we also stopped at a local cenote as well as had lunch at Valladolid.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichan Itza ?

we hired a taxi for the day, left condo early, 2 hr. drive, got there when it opened, got out before noon and the heat and the crowds, stopped for lunch in a little town on the way to Ek Balam, toured Ek Balam and swam in the cenote there, got back to the condo by 5:00, not rushed at all, did the things that we wanted to do, and I seem to remember that it probably worked out a little bit cheaper for the 4 of us as compared to a guided tour bus type thing.

piscataway
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichan Itza ?

I agree Myan Explorers. Our trip with them was a lot of fun and very personal and informative.

They are the best way to see the ruins.

Prince Albert...
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichan Itza ?

I second Yucatreks tours :)

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichan Itza ?

You might consider renting a car. Chichen is an easy drive from Playa Del Carmen and you will get more time at the site than a tour might offer. You can also visit some of the other interesting sites, Valladolid,cenotes,maybe even Coba(awesome ruins,less people).

If you have the time, it can be worth it to stay overnight and visit the ruins early in the morning before the tour buses arrive. Valladolid is a great place to stay overnight.

GTA
Level Contributor
478 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chichan Itza ?

A bus tour of ruins is not the best way to go. A full private tour with a new private van with excellent comfort and AC is the way to go if you aren't going to be driving yourself.

You determine the your schedule of when to go and leave, not the company. And you can visit anywhere or anything that interests you while on the trip. The itinerary is not fixed.

I have used 2 websites which are the same company. Highly recommended.

www.cancun-discounts.com/cancun-tours.htm

I highly recommend chichen itza and ek balam in the same day. Ek Balam is fully open to climb.

Cheers

Edited: 29 January 2012, 14:53
ann arbor
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chichan Itza ?

thanks for all the feedback ----you all got me especially interested in

ceynotes