We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

My wife and I are in our early 30's and we are planning to go to Playa del Carmen for our wedding anniversary the last week of May. I have done quite a bit research on tripadvisor but I am torn between these two resorts. From my research:

La Perla:

-newer modern design/architecture

-great dinner options (the passion resto is supposedly very good)

-more nightlife at the resort

-beach/pool are ok (i read theres rocks on the beach?!)

-service still has kinks because its newer

Maroma:

-beautiful beach/pools

-view of the ocean

-service i hear is great

-food i have heard mixed things about

Any insight to those who have been to either resort would be greatly appreciated!

nj
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

I am also considering the same 2 hotels. The only thing that is keeping me from Paradisus La Perla is that I have read that there are kids allowed in the restaurants between certain times, parents with strollers going by the pools and kids in the club during the early evening. I want an all adult not a semi-all adult. Can anyone confirm that this is true of La Perla?

Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

We are going to Paradisus La Perla in March. It was between Maroma, Excellence and La Perla. A few reasons why we picked La Perla was it's brand new and you can get some really good prices right now. We booked an amazing swim out suite, top quality places to eat, great lounging areas by pools and beach, we can walk to Playa from there. I believe the beach is much nicer and Maroma but, we really believe that was the only thing it had going for it in comparison. Good luck.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

I'm at La Perla now and have been to Secrets Maroma. I have been here for two days and it's very nice but Secrets Maroma is much better!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

We plan to try La Perla later this year based on our enjoyment of Paradisus resorts. I was not aware that children are allowed in restaurants at certain times and that is worrisome.

Looks like more research is needed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

NYBeachLover,

What don't you like about La Perla and what makes SMB better?

Thx

New York
Level Contributor
933 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

We are considering LaPerla and have also stayed at Secrets Maroma, please tell us why Secrets is better? Is it the beach? Is it the food? Or is it the little kids from LaEsmeralda? That's the thing that is bothering us. We don't want to be bothered by kids in the restaurants, pools or beach.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

The beach at SMB is 100 times better than the beach at La Perla. I'm a pool person so it's not a huge deal but I like to be able to see the beach from the pool. Mangroves are blocking it at La Perla. You also have to make dinner reservations at La Perla which I find annoying. I don't like to have to be on a schedule. I have not seen many kids. We've been sticking to the adult only restaurants. I've seen a few at the shows at night but very well behaved. The food and service have been wonderful. SMBs service is over the top though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

NYBeachLover,

I've also heard that Maroma has the better beach hands down.

But can you tell me more about the beach @ La Perla? Was it rocky? How was the sand and water. Was it swimmable? What did you like or not like about the beach?

Thx!

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

I've only walked on the beach so I doubt I can give a fair assessment. I did not see any rocks but a lot of seaweed on some days. I did hear someone say that their foot got cut up going into the water.It was not a pretty color, the beach was very small. The La Esmeralda side did seem nicer but still nothing to write home about. There are not a lot of people on the beach but I did see servers bringing drinks and food to it so that's a plus.

Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla Or Secrets Maroma

So, there is a separate area on the beach for La Perla? Also could you tell me what is in the mini fridges in rm.