We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Maroma questions

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Maroma questions

First off, so you'll know what I'm expecting out of a resort, my favorite resort is the IB Grand. I've been there three times. What I love about it, is the wide, beautiful beach, the stellar service, top shelf alcohol and the comfortable rooms.'

With that said, my husband won't go back unless we try staying somewhere new. I had my original reservation at Le Blanc, and changed it, simply because the resort just isn't me. Plus, I don't want to be in Cancun - I like the more laid back feel of the Riviera Maya.

I then switched my reservation to SMB. I've walked from the Grand to Maroma Beach many times and have always thought that SMB looked like it was sitting on top of the Catalonia. The beach looks so packed, and I'm having a difficult time with the fact that even though we're staying somewhere new, I'm still so close to the Grand, that I know it'll drive me nuts.

Now I've been researching EDM. I can get a honeymoon suite for the same price as my PC OF room at SMB. I have a few questions about though.

I know the beach has sandbags, but I read nothing negative about them. I'm surprised by that. Everyone seems to think the beach is incredibly beautiful. Either the pics aren't doing it justice, or my definition of beautiful (the IB Grand's beach) and their definition is off. What is the water color like? Is the beach always as calm as it looks? I love to sit and listen to the waves crash. On Youtube, all I hear is a gentle lapping of water. Stupid, I know, but it seems so quiet.

Do all of the honeymoon suites have the outdoor showers? Obviously the swim-up suites are on the bottom, but what floor are the honeymoon suites *without* the pools? It's really hard to tell from the photos. Karisma's website shows a photo of the remodeled Mi Hotelito rooms. They look nice. Is there any reason to stay in a honeymoon suite?

Do people tend to congregate at Rick's Bar in the evening? We enjoy getting to know people and like to have a few drinks after dinner. Is the resort completely dead at night?

One last question - we'll be there in November. I'm in Texas. We like our pool water warm. Are the pools heated? The pools at the Grand are way too cold during the fall for my taste.

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

I think there may be some confusion here. The El Dorado Maroma did not have sand bags on the beach when I was there in 2010. However the el dorado royale and also the casita did.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

October,

The EDM does have sand bags about 50 yards or so off the beach in the water. I really do not find them a bother but everyone is different. I have picutres of them taken from both the beach and from a 4th floor room and would be happy to send them to you if you PM me your email address. They keep the water very calm and all you hear is the lapping of the water - there is no real surf sound unless there is a storm out at sea then you may hear more. Water color varies depending upon the weather, we have seen brilliant blue and clear all of the way to a few days of murkey. I think you will find that everywhere to be honest. We think the beach is beautiful, actually we like it much better than that at the SMB because it is so packed at the SMB. We typically take the 1 1/2 mile or so walk up to the SMB each day of our stays and quickly turn around, glad to have our quiet piece of paradise!

We will be arriving for our 6th visit in May and then again on Nov 21 for our 7th (when are you going in November?). When we go people do typically congregate in Ricks but it can also be fairly quiet (me and hubby being the only two people in there playing very bad pool and having a great time getting to know the staff).

The Honeymoon suites are on floors 2-4 of the swim up pool buildings (300-800 blocks). We have not stayed in that category but have been in MH 2 times and a swim up 3 times so far. We prefer the MH rooms. We are just not in our room enough to justify the extra costs of the others. All of the Honeymoon suites have the outdoor showers, I think the only rooms that do not are the MH rooms (have not seen the new oceanfront jacuzzi suites or the new jacuzzi suites so cannot be sure - they were built since our last visit in May 2011).

I can't help with the temp of the pools in November as we typically go in May and September. There is a contraption just off the 800 rooms that has piping from it to the main pool that looks to be a heater (actually it looks like a pizza oven - I have pictures) but I do not know if they ever use it.

Please feel free to ask any other questions, I am happy to help!

Edited: 10 February 2012, 17:49
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

I'm interested to hear the responses on this because I feel the same way that you do about the Grand. I've had two sets of friends stay at EDM and loved it. One couple has even returned again. We honeymooned at EDR and loved it, but then found the Grand. EDR does have the sandbags in the water and the beach is less than stellar. However, the food, casitas and atmosphere was wonderful. I know that the marina is right by EDM, but I do not know how much noise that creates, if any...

I have been wanting to try Leblanc, but have always had my eye on EDM. I like that it is smaller. My husband does not enjoy repeating resorts either-he likes to go to new places that he has not experienced. He is not as picky as me when it comes to all things vacations and would return to the Grand if I insisted...We went to Grand Bavaro and loved it there too.

So...I will be reading to see what replies there are on this thread. I am very interested. :)

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

Hi Twist, regarding the Marina: You will hear the boats and such from the Marina. The only time the marina being there has bothered me is when they had one of their jetboats capsize (not sure how that happened) and the smell of gasoline was quite intense for a day. Other than the comings and goings of the boats and jet skis the marina doesn't get loud. They are open from 8:30 -6 Mon-Sat (their website is http://www.maromaparadise.com/) but we have also seen wedding parties being held in the evening.

The EDM is certainly smaller, which is one of the many reasons why we love it. At just under 100 rooms/suites it is the perfect size for us...really anything over 100 rooms for us is out. We found the EDM after staying at the El Dorado Seaside Suites 8 times and the last time we just didn't enjoy it that much as it had gotten too big (when only 1 of the swim up suite buildings was completed). We also spent a day at the EDR when it first opened (when it was about half the size that it is now) and did not like it at all as it was way too big for us.

We have not tried the Grand and likely won't due to the size. Let me know if I can give any other information!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

That's one of things that I think attracted me to EDM (its size). If we're going to make a change, I might as well try staying at a boutique resort, KWIM?

I have to admit, I'm a little bummed about there being no surf. On the other hand, the Grand's surf is so strong you can hardly get in the water half the time. I guess it would be a nice change of pace to be able to float around out there. Is there any marine life?

I think the noise of the marina might be an issue, but to be honest, the water sports area is right next to the Grand, and hearing jet skis isn't really uncommon. There are so many things that we say we're always going to do, and don't, due to having to leave the resort to catch a boat. Having the marina right there, might be a good thing for us.

My husband's not the 'lay around all day and read at the beach' type that I am, so I doubt he'll care about the water so much. What he *will* care about is food, alcohol and service, and I hear over and over again how good all three are at EDM. He loves the special touches that make the Grand such a cool place to stay. From what I've read, EDM has the same type of service.

Akandal, I think I've seen so many pictures of the water, I don't want to put you to the trouble of sending me photos. I've looked at all the photos here, and on their FB page. I'm not sure if the sand bags will be an issue for me or not, since they seem pretty far out.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 18:19
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

The Grand is large, but doesn't have as many rooms as you'd think. One of the great things about it, is the fact that there is so much space. It never feels crowded, even at 100% occupancy. The beach is huge and so peaceful. I just love it there.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

There is marine life in the water in front of the resort. One of our favorite times of the day is around 5 pm when most people have gone back to their room to get ready for dinner and the marina is winding down for the day. We walk along the beach and love to look at the baby sting rays that come up and swim around under the over water massage huts looking for little critters to eat. Quite a few people (including hubby) snorkel right off the beach and around the sand bags are quite a few interesting things to see. I am more of the lay around on a bed under a palapa and read type of girl myself.

We think the service is absolutely stellar at the EDM. Great drinks with top shelf alcohol...though I do not think they have brought back Gray Goose :-(.

Food is very subjective of course but there are many items we LOVE at the EDM and some things are just okay (there was one item we both tried that we did not like it at all!). We do try new items and if we don't really like it, not a biggie, we just order something else. Yes the portions at dinner are small than you typically see, but they are designed for you to have multiple course dinners each night.

It really is no trouble for me to send you the pictures, if you do decide you want to see them, just PM me your email address. I also have the menus if you are interested!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

I think the beach at EDM is lovely. There is lots of space between chairs and beach beds and the overall feeling is private. Color of the water is very pretty and it is calm which is perfect for me.

While the beach and water at the Grand is very pretty, I was never able to get in the water because it was so rough when we were there and I am not a strong swimmer. Since I love the water and am not a pool fan, calm water is a treat.

I like the Mi Hotelito rooms personally and also like the swimups. I am not normally a fan of swim up but the ones at EDM are really nice and offer large terraces as well as much more privacy than at other resorts.

I have honestly never had a desire to stay at SMB. We have been there several times for events and the feel and style of the resort do nothing for us. And the beach is far too crowded for my taste. My husband said it reminded him a lot of EPM which he did not care for any more than I did.

I will be very interested to read your review if you do choose EDM.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

For some strange reason I'm having a very hard time getting excited about SMB. I think I would constantly be comparing it to the Grand. I find myself constantly researching other resorts, to find something that speaks to me.

Caviar, I thought about you, because I know how much you love Negril. The calm water of EDM's beach seems to be right up your alley.

I'm going to strap my husband down over the weekend and show him pictures, and try to get an opinion other than, "whatever you want is fine with me, as long as it's somewhere new" out of him.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado Maroma questions

I have one more question -

What are the balconies of the Mi Hotelito rooms like? I'm not understanding why one costs so much less than the standard room in the newer section, if they're actually closer to the beach.

We tend to really use our rooms a lot. My husband likes to take naps, while I sit on the balcony and read, before dinner. The balconies of the Honeymoon suites look very well-equipped. That alone could sway me, if the Mi Hotelito room balconies only have a table and two chairs.

Do all Mi Hotelito rooms on upper floors have good views?

Edited: 10 February 2012, 22:17