We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared to venture to Mexico

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampton, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Scared to venture to Mexico

It's my turn to plan our next vacation. We were looking at Aruba, St Lucia, Costa Rica and Playa del Carmen. Playa del Carmen looks absolutely gorgeous and I have read wonderful reviews online. However, we really are concerned about the safety of Mexico at this time. Is it really safe for us to travel there? I apologize if this sounds ignorant but we I am genuinely concerned for our safety during our vacation.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

The violence that Mexico has been experiencing, is nowhere near the Yucatan. It's concentrated at the border of the US and Mexico.

The Cancun/Riviera Maya corridor is safe. Use your common sense just like you would in your hometown, Aruba, St. Lucia, or Costa Rica and you'll be fine. I could plan trips pretty much anywhere within reason, and I plan trips to Playa del Carmen year after year, because I feel safe there.

You have nothing to worry about. The Mexican people are the most hard-working, friendly people you'll ever meet. They have service down to a fine art. Enjoy!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Please check out this link:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Next week marks our 9 visit to Playa dle Carmen. Please check out this link. It is rather recent about safety.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k47329…

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Take a look at this travel map (showing areas affected by travel warnings and outright violence):

travelweekly.com/uploadedFiles/MEXICOMAP4.pdf

As you can see, none of this applies to the Yucatan.

We spent two weeks in Akumal (south of Cancun and PDC) in 2009 and another 2 weeks this past summer - with our young daughter. And we didn't even stay on a resort. This area of Mexico feels incredibly safe and the people are very kind and friendly.

Prince Albert...
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Read

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k34767…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k32833…

Yes it is safe. Being scared of going to Playa because of what is happening in other parts of Mexico would be equal to you being scared to leave your house because of crime in Orlando (appox the same distance away).

I'll be heading down to Playa (staying right in town, not at a resort) at the end of the month for 2 weeks by myself again, and am not worried. Anywhere can be unsafe if people don't use their common sense. Don't do anything you wouldn't at home (i.e. getting drunk and walking home at 3am down a dark alley) and you'll be fine. :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

lots of people will jump on this thread and tell you "stop worrying...", "tons of threads about this topic"..."use your common sense"..."there's places I wouldn't go at night in my own town"...etc etc etc...

I understand your worry. However, we have traveled to this part of Mexico for the past 10 years and have never felt safer and more relaxed. True what the last poster said about the people of Mexico! However, like any town/city in the world, this area has seen its share of crimes, but truly, it is not something you should panic about. Its the same as if I was to come to your town for a vacation..there have been crimes there too, I am sure, and if I investigate it, I would probably be scared to visit.

Just a month ago, in my little Texas town, there was a double murder suicide. Its rare here, but it happened. It was drug related, etc.

The other places you are interested in going also have crime..trust me. But for some reason, our media sensationalizes the events in Mexico. The crimes are horrific and brutal, but those crimes do happen everywhere. I think they latch on to crimes in Mexico because they are our "neighbors" and our govt is so highly involved in the fight to control the crime of that country.

just my dos centavos...

you are doing the right thing to investigate and ask questions. don't get put off by anyone who might jump on you to read thru the threads...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

It's ok to ask, I agree. Mexico is a good bang for your buck. The food is excellent. The people are so genuine and amazing. It's easy to get around and there is so much to do. The ocean and snorkeling are so fun and beautiful. Playa! Playa! Playa! Once you go to this area of Mexico you'll get hooked just like everyone else.

Use TA to start investigating more into activities and things to do and see in all of these places, and whichever one piques your interest most, you'll have your answer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Read all this information and then if you still have doubts don't go. Find somewhere else or you won't relax.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
764 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

I was in Playa in November for the first time; travelled alone....felt safe the entire time. Common sense always prevails when travelling. But the people, restaurants, hotel were all wonderful..; by the way...I am a lone female traveller. Heading to Acapulco next week for about the gazillionith time.

Hampton, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared to venture to Mexico

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. Shared it with the hubby and pretty sure we will booking our vacation and staying at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Take care and safe travels.