We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

We went to bed early the night before with the intention of getting up before dawn and heading down the east side of Isla to watch the sunrise. We actually did wake up at 5 am but I wasted valuable time freaking out about the state of my body. That is to say, my entire body was covered in bumps, except where my bedclothes had covered me. I hated the hotel even more at this moment, as I didn't know if was bitten by bedbugs, having a rash from cheapo detergent used on the sheets or if it was seabathers eruption.

There was an upside to that night's sleep. For the first time in my life, I dreamed in Espanol!!!! It was pretty cool :).

We had limited time so we headed south in our cart for one last hurrah and did catch the sunrise on a short but pretty stretch of beach. We hunched over and hunted for shells, occasionally looking up to admire the original purpose of our early hour. The waves kept chasing us away from the water but we still made a good haul of two huge conchs and other pretty things.

When the light was full we carted further south with the intention of getting breakfast at that loncheria with the banana leaf tamales we'd sampled the day before, but we ended up just driving to Punta Sur park while it was still early enough to be deserted. It sure is gorgeous looking out into the vastness of el carib. I liked the large iguana sculpture.

We headed back to town and had breakfast croissant sandwiches at Cafe Cito. After that, we couldn't pack fast enough to get out of the hotel. Of course checkout was a nightmare too but I won't go into it. We enjoyed the ferry back to the mainland and once we were at the terminal I announced that I would take the taxi with the best fare. Who wants it? I got a taxi to the airport for 300 pesos from Gran Puerto ferry terminal. Not sure if that was a good deal or not.

Brrrrrr the Cancun airport is so cold. And expensive. I prefer Bubba Gumps for one last shrimp fix. Their coconut shrimp and peel and eat shrimp are actually good compared to other stuff in the terminal.

We'd maybe like to check out Isla again sometime. I'd do a day trip or maybe two nights or so. Right now we're leaning toward spending some time in Puerto Morelos on our next trip to Playa.

We've been back two days and I am still having culture shock. I just want to go back to Mexico!

Thanks for all the positive feedback on all my trip reports guys. I'm glad people enjoy our daily adventures. Now, on to tackle my formal TA reviews!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Skeletonbreath, really enjoyed your trip journal. Thanks. Did the bumps go away?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Still have them but not as bad or as prevalent. I'm feeling itchy in spots. I have no idea. Our stuff is in garbage bags out on our deck, in the snow, until I can wash it all in hot water tomorrow. Just want to be on the safe side.

Fort Montgomery...
Level Contributor
415 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

I'll miss your daily travel blog:-(

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Really enjoyed your writing and looked forward to each daily installment. Heading down tomorrow and plan on taking a day trip to Isla. Thanks for sharing! Buena suerte y vaya con dios.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

maybe we should all chip in & send skeletonbreathe back so we can get more daily updates...great idea skeleton...i very much enjoyed them...arriving in 4 days ...whooooaaaa

Edited: 11 February 2012, 03:57
An Englishman in NY
Level Contributor
137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Bravo..........I really did enjoy following your adventures....you and your chap seem to know how to embrace life. Congrats and onwards and upwards even in your day to day lives.

Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Wow! I really enjoyed your reports! Y'all travel like we do, so I snagged some of your awesome ideas. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you. (off to start looking for plane tickets...)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Great job on your trip reports!!! Very adventurous. Makes me want to get Playa now. Two months to go. Can't come soon enough!

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

I felt like I just spent a week in Mexico, and boy did I have a great time through your eyes :).

You mentioned about renting a golf cart.. Where did you get it, and how much did it cost?

Thanks

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 10: Sunrise shelling and saying goodbye

Great attitude on life, I have learned alot on reading your adventures. God bless you both!