We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

We have never been to Playa/ Riviera area before and we are looking at going there this summer. We will not be traveling with kids-looking for a fun & relaxing place with a nice beach-do not want to be harassed by timeshare sharks- and good (for AI) food. We do not want to have to get up and stand in a line to make reservations. We have stayed at other AI's & in Punta Cana we stayed at Majestic E & paid extra for a preferred section-would you recommend paying extra for this at these resorts or not? What is the typical weather there in July? Thanks for your help!

Iowa
Level Contributor
107 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

I have stayed at the Majestic. Very nice resort. I have also stayed at the Valentin and loved it. Nice beach, no timeshare sharks, good food, unlimited alacartes and no reservations. If there is a wait they give you a pager. It is adults only as well. I did not pay for the privilage things. I don't think you need to there. I went in June. July will be hot and sunny.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

Been to the Valentin twice and think it is a great resort and will meet the requirements you mentioned.

I have not been to the Sunset Princess - BUT this is not an adults only resort if I am correct?

All I can say is that when/if we are lucky to get away just the two of us - no kids...we always go ADULTS ONLY. There is just a different vibe to the entire resort....much more laid back and relaxing, more elegant and sophisticated....maybe simply because non of us adults are worried about and fussing over the kids?

Which ever resort you do choose, since you are leaving your kids at home this time, I highly recommend going to an adults only......you won't regret it!!!

Happy Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

You will have to wait in line at Grand Sunset unless you go platinum. We've been twice and the beach is beautiful unless it's raining.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

Thank you for the help!

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

For what you want I would go with the Valentin Imperial. The grand sunset princess requires reservations for their a la cartes and has families staying there. It is nice there but Valentin is adults only and you don't have to make reservations for the restaurants.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

I have stayed in the Villas at the GSP and loved it, adults only and the concierge had already made all of our reservations for the ala cartes before we even arrived. Good value for the price and heading back for the first week of a two week trip this summer.

Staying at the VIM for the second week and the privilige package is included in the room price so we are really looking forward to having our own reserved chairs for the week, much to quite a few peoples dismay if you read the posts. I believe with this package you can make reservations at the ala cartes if you choose and skip whatever line might be there.

The beach was OK at the GSP, not the greatest and not the worst by far, some people seem to complain too much ;)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

I've been to both Majestic Elegance (preferred section) and VIM. I preferred VIM much more. The layout of the resort was better, food much better and just general a better feeling.

If you liked the rooms at Majestic, I'd suggest booking a golden suite at VIM. I'm not sure about the swim out suites, but the 3rd floor rooms have a m froore open layout like Majestic (but not as open) and the time we were in a 2nd floor room (at VIM) the rooms had separation. I preferred the 2nd floor room much more. I liked that the bathroom was completely separate and there was a separate sitting area

from the sleeping area.

I don't think paying the extra $100/day for the privilege package just for a dedicated lounger. There are other perks included, but really not worth it at all.

I haven't been to Sunset Princess so I can't comment on that, but I can say that you won't be disappointed at VIM.

Happy Valley, Oregon
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

We're going back to grand sunset and staying in the adults only section-laguna suites. The VIM prices are soo much higher coming from the west coast that we couldn't justify the extra thousand dollars - I really wanted to stay at VIM. Maybe next time.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
487 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

Over the years, we have been to both. LOVE the VIM. We recommend it to our friends and everyone comes back so pleased. It is adults only and the whole experience for us was wonderful from start to finish. The service was fantastic. If the cost isn't a factor, go to VIM. We also stayed at and enjoyed the GSP, but we went with the kids that time. It was just what we hoped for for the family. If you do decide on GSP, would recommend the Villa Lagoon Suites. They'll give you a bit of "adult only" section within the whole and some upgraded ammenities too. Have fun wherever you decide to go.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Imperial M. or Sunset Princess

Shelb,

In reading your posting, I saw that you prefered the second floor rooms at VIM.

We've done both second and third floor Golden Suites and really liked the third floor more (like the open feeling). To each their own as they say.

I agree with your comments on the privilege package.