We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

Is this the old Mandarin property? Pictures are somewhat deceiving and not the same on different sites... some show beach others show no beach but a beach wall with lougers overlooking the ocean. I know a lot of the beaches were devistated a few years back and have since been restored... same here?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

Was there in May.................vey nice beach.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

Thanks Bob! Big sandy beach? Sea wall? Restoration or no?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
614 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

There is a sea wall section and a sandy beach section. The beach is not large, but still good access.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

I was there in May and Dec. and while the beach was very nice in May, in Dec. the beachfront got much smaller.The last tropical storm did alot of damage.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

We are also interested in the beach here, Is there a beachbar or service on the beach?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
614 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

The closest bar is the pool bar. The pool is located adjacent to the beach but not too far.

Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

I have just returned. The beach has eroded and I did not see many swimmers. However if looking for a chaise lounge there is easy access for these on soft sand facing the ocean.

devon, alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

We got back from there on Feb 9 - the reason that there were not many swimmers was not just the beach but the weather - the red flag was out at the beach for over a week - strong winds thus strong surf! There is a wind wall (which really came in handy!) and beach on either side of that. In my opinon and this is the 4th resort we have been to down there - the beach is more than adequate! As the resort is relatively small - you can't expect miles of beach in front of it! Just go for a walk down the beach - towards Playa the nicest beach is the one where there is no hotel!! - the other way walk 20 minutes to Rio Secreto and there is a fabulous cenote that joins the ocean and lots of sand in between the Ocean Maya and the cenote (and some sand not so nice!!) We loved the place and will be back next year!!

devon, alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

resortsmaps.com/map-OceanMaya-RivMaya.html

Check out the map - it doesn't show the beach on either side of the windwall tho - this is an old map!! the El Gaucho is the Italian restaurant now and the El Charro is now the El Gaucho (serves lunch and then turns into a Mexican restaruant @ nite) but there is beautiful beach in front of the Italian restuarant and where the Water Sport are there is also lovely white sand with chairs! The pool bar is pretty close to anything believe me - I know!! Hope this helps!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: H10 Ocean Maya :: Nice Beach?

JNS, it is indeed the former El Mandarin. We were there in November 2011 and had an excellent time during our 3rd visit. At the beachfront, the "Privilege" beach section is between the boardwalk/sea wall and the pools, in the middle of the resort beach. The all-access beach also is in the same area (surrounds the Privilege beach area) but extends to the shoreline on the north and south ends of the H10 beach area, but it is a short stretch of sand on either end. Very nice when it's calm, but the wind blows often and churns things up for sure in the water.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 02:21