We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

We are a couple in out mid 30's looking for a resort in the area for a July 2012 stay. Would love to hear any specific things that you have loved or not loved at the Valentin Imperial! We have never been to this area of Mexico before-we have been to Cozumel (on a cruise), AI in Cabo & AI inPunta Cana.

Thanks for your help!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

PROS:

- comfiest beds I've ever slept on in Mexico (in fact, comfiest beds of pretty much anywhere!);

- the "cheap" rooms are the most centrally located in the resort and, IMHO, lovely. I've stayed in an upgraded room (Golden) and whilst it was nice, I wouldn't pay extra for it;

- no reservations for dinner;

- no wristbands;

- food is from good to fantastic (IMHO);

- you can walk for MILES along the beach (I've gone all the way PAST Maroma beach - about 2 hours to the south!);

- best of all .... NO KIDS!!

CONS:

I'm going to add a disclaimer here that I don't really find these to be "cons" at all, which is why I've added some commentary - but I can see how these things might be a negative for some:

- location - you're a good 20 minutes drive or more from Playa del Carmen. If you plan on spending most of your time at the resort it's no big deal but if you want to shop, club and party on a regular basis, that could get old (and expensive). However, I find that once I get to the VIM, I seem to lose all motivation to leave!

- beach - now, I really like the beach here and I'm a total beach gal...... but there are big, solid, immovable rocks (ironshore) at the water's edge along a fair portion of the beach. All this means is that you can't run into the water for a swim just anywhere - you have to go to the northern end of the VIM's beach area where you'll find a totally rock-free, roped off swimming area.

I've been to the VIM three times and fully expect to go back there again in the future.

July will be very hot and very humid (not just at the VIM!), so you might want to be prepared for that.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 16:43
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

I second everything Llisa said and will add that I have been there 3 times and have found all the staff to be very friendly and the service excellent. There is a lot of walking which I like but, you may not. I find the entire resort to be very romantic. It is probably the look of it and the fact that there are no children. You can even find a spot in the huge pool where you feel 'alone'.

kelowna, BC canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

Also 3 times for us and are in agreement with Llisa and Darlene66. Excellent staff and ambience. Food for us was good and the beauty of the resort.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

Thanks! That sounds exactly what we are looking for!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

All of those are correct. We loved it and will going back this May.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

My only "con" was the beach as Llisa already mentioned. Everything else was great.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

Are the Silver Suites worth the upgrade then? what would they have over a regular suite.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

We got the silver suites last year and thought they were ok. We upgraded this year and are going to try the swim up suite and see how it is.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

We were "upgraded" to a sliver at check in for free. It had a huge tub and 2 sinks. I *think* that's the only difference. In hindsight, I would have rather stayed in the basic room-better location. I only used the tub once for maybe 15 minutes. Too hot in Mexico to soak in my own filth. LOL.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 20:55
Boston
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Imperial-The good & the not so good????

With the standard room you are not assured a king sized bed. You might get 2 double beds. It can be hit or miss. The silvers only have king sized beds.