We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
531 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

We are headed to BlueBay this March and although I understand that the ocean is not good for snorkelling, I was wondering if the resort does have the equipment to borrow. I have searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I would like to take the equipment if they have it and snorkel down the beach.

Does this resort lend out snorkel equipment?

Also does anyone have an information on the kids club?

Thanks everyone,

Robyn

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

We will be at BBGE this upcoming week \0/

I read somewhere that they ask for a cash deposit to use the snorkel equipment at the resort. We have opted to just bring our own.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

I can't think of anything more gross than used snorkel equipment. I won't get graphic here but if you read up on snorkeling, you'll see my point. Plus they usually only let you have them for an hour and you can't take them on a trip outside the resort.

What I would do is check out Mountain Equipment Co op in Burlington, 1030 Brant.

They carry aqualung and it's reasonable ($25.00 for kids, $35.00 for adults0 and it was the first sets we had and it was really quite good. I wouldn't bother with fins. If you go Akumal beach then rent a set for the day.

If you find you love snorkeling you then can move up to a more expensive mask or if you want to you can check out snorkelmart.ca. I bought my husband's prescription mask and my new one from them. Good prices and good service if you have questions.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

Check with the airline your taking. Some airlines list snorkel equipment as free baggage.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

Both Costco and Walmart have great snorkeling gear..

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
531 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

Thanks, I just hate packing all that stuff, it's probably free baggage from Canada but I always get charged for extra weight for my baggage coming out of Mexico, it's annoying and I am trying to avoid that! Anyway I appreciate the responses.

Robyn

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

"it's probably free baggage from Canada but I always get charged for extra weight for my baggage coming out of Mexico"

????

If it's free coming out of Canada, it should be free going back .... unless you've purchased a ton of stuff and now your baggage weighs more.

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
531 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

@Lisa, when I leave from Canada my baggage is under the amount to be charged, but when I leave Mexico and no I haven't bought anything my baggage is always over the amount allowed. Not sure if they don't allow the same weight or my stuff gets weighed down from the moisture and humidity. Anyway hopefully this year I won't overpack and not get charged coming out of Mexico..

8. Re: Snorkel gear at BlueBay Grand Esmerelda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 10:37