We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

We're looking to book a trip in late March (looking at the Gran Porto), but before we do we're curious as to the impact of spring breakers in the area. I know they infest Cancun, and the past several years we've been able to avoid them by staying on Isla Mujeres. How does Playa del Carmen compare?

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer this question, since I've never been to Playa del Carmen, but I'll be there in just 19 days.

That being said, I'm 23 year old college student and I'm going with my 3 friends for spring break. We wanted a laid back vacation, free of spring breakers (because yes, they are annoying!) We specifically picked Playa del Carmen over Cancun for this reason. We have spoken to a lot of friends, and while some are headed to Mexico, NOBODY I know is heading to Playa del Carmen. Cancun seems to be party central for SB.

So honestly, other than me and my friends, I doubt you'll see many spring breakers ;) And I hope I don't see any, either!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

The biggest majority of spring breakers in Playa will be families. Most of the college kids will be in Cancun.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

Unfortnately, playa is getting more like cancan... More families, yes, but they seem to travel in packs.... More parents there with their teenage kids... But still lots of loud teenagers that time of year...

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

Our Canadian Colleges and University are having their reading week now, and they go back to school on the 27th, then on the 9th we have our March break for the elementary kids for a week.

My hubby and I are going right in between.. lol

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

The loudest and craziest weeks in Playa are the week before and after Easter.

Huge crowds of rude young adults on the beach, I would not plan a trip during that time.

I have had too many friends go then and had a horrible time on the beach due to language, trash left around and drunkeness.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
635 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

I've stayed at the Gran Porto about 10 times, awesome place. They don't do spring breakers at that resort. You can't really compare Isla to Playa. Isla is way more laid back, and much smaller. However Playa is great, just a little more touristy. The staff at the Gran Porto are the best. We've stayed at about 25 different AI's and the Gran Porto is our #1.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

Thanks for the replies, all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

Marina El Cid has a minimum age of 25 policy to check in. Maybe the hotel you are looking at does too. We've been to this area too many times to count over the last 15 years in the spring and we've never had a problem with "spring breakers". i have seen obnoxious drunk mature adults worse. The only time I've ever spoken up was when too many F bombs were being dropped around my kids but even then we usually pick spots on the beach or pool away from it.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

More & more people are flocking to Playa, especially during/around Christmas & Easter. We were there (at the Royal right next door to the Gran Porto) during Easter back in 2010 & we definitely noticed the crowds when we took our daily walks on the beach. If you are going to the Gran Porto you will be okay but if you like to venture up & down the beach like we do you will notice the crowds for sure especially if you go at the end of March. (just want to throw this out there: the GPR has a great security team just in case anything does get out of hand/to rowdy at the resort itself. Unfortunately, we witnessed this first hand last year in May, great guys & they are always on the lookout for trouble) The crowds in Playa seem to start the week before Easter (April 8th this year I think) but die down right afterwards, maybe you can revolve your dates around those times. Also, keep in mind that, all of the beaches in Mexico are public beaches. Have a great time.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 00:09
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring breakers in Playa del Carmen?

We are 40 something going to Playa Del Carmen with our 20 something kids - girl 23 (just grad from college & working) and son 20 (junior in college). Both my kids are pretty tame and we like to vacation as a family so thats why we are all going together. I'm sure there will be some partying going on, but nothing compared to Cancun. My husband and I went there back in 2002 and said our kids will never go to Cancun on Spring Break without us! It was crazy - though we had a good time watching!