We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Essex, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Hi I leave the UK on 28th March for a two week holiday (with hubby and 8 year old daughter) and would appreciate any up to date information on the hotel. How is the pool retiling progressing, is the outside theatre open and what is the temperature like in the evenings? Is wine available at the bars and if so what type? Anyone else there same time?

stony mountain
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Maxwellhouse

I arrived back this past sunday. Both pools were up and running. The open theatre was still not in use but the entertainment was being held in a big convention room. I had wine at the restaurants. Sorry, don't know about the bars. In the evening it was beautiful and breezy. Not to hot and not to cool. Perfect for strolling the grounds.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

maxwellhouse: we leave on March 29th from Chicago for one week (with hubby, 3 year old son and 6 year old daughter). I read that someone's post just this morning that the outside theater is set to open this Sunday. We can't wait - how about you??!!

Calgary, Alberta
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Hello, I thought I would send you a link to a website about a young boy that drowned at this resort...I have small children and would not go there after after reading this.

http://www.brentmidlock.com/deathtrap.asp

ontario canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Would like to state that this was a 1 time accident.I also went to this site before I booked the Flamenco. The only side you get on that website is from the family. Accidents are not always preventable.When my two sons are in a pool, the ocean or our lake at our cottage I don't take my eyes off of them and they are now 12 and 13.Maybe these parents should have paid more attention.

I just returned from here and there were tons of kids there and they loved it. Does it tell you on the site that this child was not even supposed to be in this pool because this is the ADULTS ONLY pool- very interesting how this young boy ended up in there.

Is everyone avoiding the Barcelo Maya after 2 of our Canadians had their throats slit-- I don't think so.

Just go and you and your family will be safe if you use common sense.

P.S. There are lifeguards and security roaming around all the pools and the beach areas

Essex, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Thank you all for your comments.

Missypagu - I had read this report and as Slayer has reported the accident happened to a child in an adults only pool. I am not worried as I will be constantly watching my daughter.

Girlnextdoor - We are all very excited and will see you there!

Calgary, Alberta
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Hello,

If you read the mothers report on the website, she was watching her children...she turned her head for a moment, turned back and he was gone...I don't know that it would have helped anyways if she hadn't taken her eyes off of him...he was sucked into the pipe so fast and so violently...how would they have helped him before he had died???

He would have drowned even if she had seen the whole thing....he was found in the pipe, 10 feet into the pipe under the sidewalk. At the time the pool was no adult only. He was pulled from behind and was found with his feet and legs folded up to his stomach and head...completely folded in half, battered, bruised and compressed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Regarding the drowning tragedy--it's very odd. If I'm not mistaken the photo of the pool where the boy died (on the website) was of the adult pool, i.e., adults only.

Unless the pool became an adult pool after the tragedy...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Oops--Slayer and Maxwellhouse both noted the adult pool issue already, so I'm just echoing their thoughts. Should have read the replies before checking the website!

ontario canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

If you look up how many children and adults die every year in the States via similiar accidents you will be amazed. Many kids and adults are caught and sucked in pool drains.

I read the full reports on this accident and I think we all can agree if there is any way to prevent this from happening again the resort has taken full measures.

Ask yourself this- Have you ever inspected a pool before entering it or letting your kids swim in it?- neither have I

My question is who took the cover off of the drain- maintenance claims it was on (fishy) or could a curious child remove it.

My point is still just because something happened in the past doesn't mean that it will happen again.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any more up to date information on Occidental Grand...

Me and my boyfriend landed back in England today after a 2 week stay at the Grand Flamenco - we wished we'd booked for 3 weeks!! All of the swimming pools are up and running and they are huge - no complaints can be made at all. And the despite the hotel being at full capacity you would never be able to tell, there are plenty of sun beds and the place never felt crowded. There are bars to get drinks near all of the pools but you barely have to move as there is waitor service and they'll come along every 20 mins or so to see what you'd like. Between 11 & 3 they light a BBQ by a couple of the main pools so you can grab a burger or a hot dog. If you want something more try the buffet down by the beach that does the best lunch time food, the main buffet and the Lago bar are also good alternatives. The outside theatre opened a couple of days ago and the shows are fun and quite easy going, definately worth a watch. A house red and white wine is available as part of the all inclusive deal, if you go to the a la carte restaurants they'll offer you a wine list so if you would prefer a decent bottle of wine they have lots of choice that you can the pay for. We weren't overly impressed with the a la carte restaurants - the food seemed to be of a higher standard in the main buffet room where there is a different theme every night. Everybody we spoke to agreed that breakfast is the best meal of the day - they serve everything you can imagine. Everyday we were there the weather just got hotter!! The sun tends to go down fairly early about 4.30-5.00 and it can get a little bit windy in the evening but I was fine going out in just a t-shirt or dress (and I feel the cold!). The staff are great and they have a kids club for the day time and then early evening as well, there were quite a few children there. We thought the place was quite "Americanised" but we didn't see that as a bad thing - it was mainly american tourists staying there. There is a really friendly atmosphere and all the staff are great, arranging different daily activites from spanish lessons, beach & pool volley ball, aerobics, air riffle, petanque etc. I hope this has helped a bit and if you have any further Q's i'll be happy to fill you in!! Claire