We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess baggage charges

da176ep
Level Contributor
215 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Excess baggage charges

Has anybody experienced having to pay excess baggage fees,knowing that their luggage was not over weight ,on return to the UK.There was a problem with this a couple of years ago and wondered if it is still prevalent.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess baggage charges

I haven't seen any reports of it lately but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'd suggest you invest in a luggage scale (they're not expensive) and ensure that you are as under your weight limit as possible. If they do try to ding you with excess baggage fees, stand your ground but if you do have to pay, INSIST on paying by credit card, not cash, and get a receipt.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess baggage charges

About five or six years ago we were going through the Cancun airport (different airline) and the agent at the counter said my luggage was three pounds over the limit. I removed my luggage and the scale still was showung five pounds weight. Obviously, I did not have to pay anything extra.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess baggage charges

It's the 21st century. Anyone that travels should be doing so with a hand-held digital luggage scale. They're cheap. End of concern.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excess baggage charges

I had issue at CUN several years ago. I also had a scale and had weighed it at the hotel so I KNEW it wasnt overweight. Scale at American air counter showed at least 3lb over.

So I asked them to remove the suitcase from the scale...WITH NOTHING on the scale, it still showed 3 lbs of weight. So I asked them to zero out the scale....and of course my suitcase was ok.

Another 2 times at La Romana in DR, again American Airlines, I got sucked into a $29 overweight charge...the next year (SAME ticket counter) they again TRIED to suck the money from my wallet. This time I said "sorry, but I'm not overweight", "yes you are", "no I am not"........I didnt pay!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excess baggage charges

Yep, a guy tried that trick in Cancun 2010.

I gave him a look and began pulling items out of the suitcase and stuffing them in my carryon.

About 5 lbs worth, now miraculously the suitcase weighed in at 15 lbs less than the first time he "weighed" it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excess baggage charges

You can avoid the arguments by simply pulling your digital scale out of your carry on and weighing your luggage in front of the clerk. Done. Next...

jersey
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Excess baggage charges

Sort of like the old butchers, 3/4 pound of meat.. 1/4 Pound of thumb.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excess baggage charges

I really doubt they are going to trust an individual's hand held scale over theirs.

Karen's suggestion is good - make them 0 out the scale. I just had the experience of my bag gaining 5 lbs between NYC and Miami when I arrived at the airport hotel in Miami at 1130pm and was headed back to the airport at 7am - with no shopping opportunites in between. If anything, I used toiletries, so the bag should have been lighter.

suitcaseready.com

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excess baggage charges

The funniest one was in Punta Cana (also the place that we got hit up for money at immigration coming into the country but my hearing was so bad from clogged plane ears that I had no idea what he was mumbling and kept asking him to speak up! All I heard was "blah, blah money" and then I heard "do you have some money for me?" I just played dumb and said sorry I can't hear you and he knew that he was taking too long because he was glancing around and stamped our passports and let us go.

All the people before me were getting charged for overweight. I knew mine wasn't probably around 33 pounds. When I put my suit case on the scale said it weighed 17 pounds. The girl was started to say something about being overweight and then saw the number. She just stared. Talk about rigged scales!

da176ep
Level Contributor
215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excess baggage charges

This is what i suspected as i do have digital scales but didn't think they would take my scales info over their own.Will stand my dround though,so many thanks to all who have replied.