We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

I usually just book the lowest priced room at any resort, and I'm usually okay with that. We normally stay at Secrets, and have 8 nights booked at SMB for August. We are just making a quick 3-night trip for my husband's 50th birthday and decided to stay in town this time. GPR fits our budget, but I'm curious about trying to upgrade rooms once we get there. This will be our second time to GPR - the last time was about 8 years ago. I don't know if they will consider an upgrade just because we are returning customers. I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but I like to feel like I'm getting a bargain. If anyone has had luck upgrading at check-in at this particular resort, I would love to hear your experience. How much should I expect to spend per night to upgrade? Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
200 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

When I went to The grand Porto real I upgraded but to the resort across the street to the Royale.. frankly the beach sucks the drinks are nasty as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

NOT Impressed with the Grand Porto AT ALL.......Just returned fm. the Royal _ just across the street fm., and we ate at the Grand a couple of times for a change - and YOU can really tell the difference in the food and everything - wine is watered down and terrible - people are very nice, BUT, go to the Royal across the street - all the food is great......and everything else about the place is great - ENJOY YOUR FEW DAYS - we were there for 4 weeks - YOU May as well get a good 3 days, with good food and drinks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
627 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

We've been to the Gran Porto 8-9 times and it's awesome! The staff is the greatest we've ever come across. Been to over 30 different AI's and the Gran Porto is one of our favorites! Upgrades depend on occupancy of course, but worth a try.

bc canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

Hi Wizkid60

I have stayed at both resorts and like each for different reasons . I say if no children go to Royal with children go to Gran Porto. You can contact a concierge about 3 weeks before arriving at the resort about upgrading ( I had Astrid ) she was great. Cheers from BC

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

If you upgrade to the Grand Master One Bedroom you will get access to the Royal next door. The Best room in the house is Room 357. It is HUGE with three balconies. The other grand master one bedrooms are also nice but simply not as GRAND. Just an option.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

There's a big difference in the price between the two resorts or even between the standard room at GPR and the beachfront. We are trying to stick to a budget since it's already a splurge to go twice in one year. How much is reasonable to pay for an upgrade?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
627 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

Depends what room you want. You'll get a one category upgrade for $30-40 a night. If you book a standard room you'll get an ocean view upgrade, which is mainly looking at the Royal for that price.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

definately disagree about the drinks being awful, it's all branded stuff, made in front of you, best cocktails we've ever had on holiday, of course some people prefer the royal, its alot more money so it should be aloy better

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

Wizkid, the standard rooms are an old part of the original hotel - very small and the seating area is OUTSIDE the room forming a common area by the upstairs pool. There are no windows that close, only old stylr louvered windows, making for very uncomfortable air conditioning and real easy access for pests. We were booked into a standard room and left as soon as we were shown it. Back to the desk we went and we got a very nice Jr. Suite for $60 a night extra. The front desk girl was very firm on the set upgrade prices. I think it it less at the hotel though, rather than prebooking.

My advice is to check the room out and then see if you need an upgrade to be comfortable. Also, you could luck out and they will be overbooked in the standard category and you could be upgraded for free.

The Italian restaurant and drinks served there are excellent. We had very good bar service at the pool. The buffet and Mexican restaurant do leave alot to be desired, but I thought the guests were great fun while at the Royal it was very stuffy.

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Room upgrades at Gran Porto Real

we've been to GPR 2 and had a nice time both visits. the first time we upgraded once we got there and were glad we did. the 2nd time we just payed the price for the room we wanted (beach walk out) so we knew we could get that room. this being spring break time, not sure if they are full so I wouldn't want to take the gamble and not being able to upgrade. I've seen and heard if you book there standard rooms they are awful and small. so if you are wanting a nice big room with a view, book that ahead a time and you won't be disappointed. they also have always tried to sales pitch us to upgrade to the royal or offer us a deal to swtich to there sister hotel in cancun. we never have, just because we liked it at GPR. but the royal looks very nice and adult only makes it nice option to think about too :-) good luck and have a great trip!