We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

I was just reading some of the comments from folks who stayed at the VIM recently and was thrilled to read that so many people had a positive experience there!!!

My husband and I stayed at the VIM in 2010 and we absolutely loved it (shared my comments on Tripadvisor) and plan on going back just as soon as we can.

There is just something about that resort.....the food, the rooms, the atmosphere, the impromptu "disco" outside of Don Miguel's....

I can hardly wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

This time next week we will be there! Can't wait!!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Everybody has their own personal preferences, and we are with you. We've been there four times (once a year for the past four years).

Our last trip in December we felt that it was even better than before. The new manager has made a number of nice improvements.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

We were there in 2010 and thought it was great, but had heard numerous reports that things were going downhill and noticed that it had dropped sharply in the TA resort rankings.

We're staying at the Royal in Playa this April because we wanted to be in town, but I've always told people that the Valentin was a great place and a good value.

Glad to hear comments that it's improved.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Will be there this saturday!

Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

We will be there for our first time in July!!! I have been reading everything we can find and looking at all the pictures!!! So excited!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Bring insect repellant with you in July. It's hot and the mosquitos are out toward evening.

It's a great place.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Just got back on Sunday and I wasn't that impressed with the VIM We've been to many resorts both good and bad both family and adults I gave it 3 stars in my review It really is about a 3 1/2 star resort at best

In short VIM is the biggest player in the towel game at the pool and beach. They reservie large blocks of sun loungers for there priviledge package guest (extra $700 per couple per week) . That have been reserved but go unused. Last week the quiet side of the main pool 42 of 48 were reserved for priviledge package guests of the 42 reserved shaded sun loungers only 4 or 5 were actually being used. The same went for the palapa's at the main beach section (neart the main bar) I counted 20 reserved out of those 20 only 10 were being used the rest sat empty with names on them. What a waste. What was really a joke was getting everyone getting a note from management stating sun loungers and pool floats are not to be reserved. If your going anytime soon your going to have to get up around 7am or so to get a shaded spot around the pool or to get a palapa at the notth end where the swimable part of the beach is located. If your a beach person and want an unreserved shaded spot bring a big insulated cup.its a pretty good walk to the beach or pool bars from those spots. The wife commented about using our cooler bag to hold ice so she would have a few cold bottled waters close at hand instead of walk back and forth to one of the bars.

. Also the booze is definitely watered down at the pool bars. We never could get a drink there that was consistant. The wife noticed it right off when she ordered a Margrita on the rocks with cuervo, and again when she orderd an absolute and tonic. My review should be up within a day or 2. There were a few bright spots but after staying a week there I really think the place is a little overrated.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

token22 - thank you very much for your comment on the current beach/palapa situation - I was contemplating to buy the last minute trip to Valentin but will pass on this resort again. I knew this privilege packages assigned chairs tactics effectively reduces the number of the chairs avail. to the rest of the folks to the miserable number but somehow I was hoping that it is not that bad - it seems that it is even worse that I imagined and I am not going to pay that amount for the saved chair in the shade - well, it is not my cup of tea then. Probably people that liked Valentin, went there during the low season. There are very few resorts that perform well during the high occupancy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

We were at the Valentin when it first opened in 2008. We had a great time while we were there. Since then I have seen its rating go up and down, but it seems that recently there has been some positive changes. There are so many resorts in the area that I don't know if we would return, but never say never if the price is right!

Port Elgin, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Well, we just back too (Sat.Mar. 17) and had a blast! We had a swim up room which I would recommend to help alieviate the towel game. I would sum it up as casual elegance at it's best.

My only negatives:

I found the frozen drinks at the pool almost undrinkable - way too sweet,

But at the beach they were perfect and all the drinks were very strong.

The towel game was bad but it was worse last year at the Catalonia R.M.

We always found 2 chairs with a table (not always a palapa) but this was usually around 10:00am.

One thing that kind of peeved us was that in the afternoon there would be a worker coming around our room at the golden suites removing garbage and towels off the lounge chairs -- so we would be on the other end of the pool and he would take our towels that we were still using and then we would have to go dripping wet into the room to grab bath towel-- not cool! I don't understand why they weren't doing this at the beach and pool as well. There would be countless palapas with just towels on the lounges at about 12:30pm. One day we decided to use one and got scolded by the people sitting next to us, there were absolutely no personal belongings on it; it's this kind of attitude that really bothers me. Anyway, the hotel could easily solve this by removing towels left behind except not on guest's personal terrace. OK rant over.

Aside from that, this was the best place we've ever been, Couples Swept Away in Jamaica being a close 2nd.