We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
118 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

I know I read it somewhere on here but now I can't find it....

We are staying at Secrets Maroma Beach and am interested in going to Akumal to snorkel. I believe taking the colectivo is going to be out best bet vs. booking a pricey tour. Can someone tell me how to go about taking the colectivo and how long a trip that would be?

belliegirl
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

We have stayed in Maroma at the Catalonia and as I remember, the collectivos run from PDC to Tulum. Since Maroma is North of PDC and the resort is set so far back from the Hiway, a collectivo isn't an option. You could take a taxi into PDC and catch a collectivo from there. I know the Catalonia ran a free bus from the hotel to PDC. You might check and see if Secrets does something similar.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

We are at SMB in 23 days . Have been to Akumal snorkeling two years ago and loved it . It will take about 50 mins to get there. Not to sure how the colectivo will work out . From the HWY once you are there.... to the beach is only a 10 minute walk and the taxies there will try and tell you its a long walk and want to give you a ride.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

As previously mentioned it will be a long walk from SMB out to the Route 307 to catch the collectivo. You'll see for yourself on the drive from the airport what you'll be up against once you turn off the main road. If you do walk out to 307 and catch a collectivo you will need to switch to a different one in Playa del Carmen. The collectivos run from Cancun to PDC and from PDC to Akumal.

When you get dropped off in Akumal, it's only about a 10 or so minute walk to the beach area.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
118 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

sounds good! Thanks, everyone!

5. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach to Akumal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 10:24