We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Many people complain about the mustiness. Those of us who travel, have a great solution which works on just about every type of odorous smell. FEBREEZE sprayed in the cold air return vents works great. Musty mattress. Spray on the mattress. Febreeze also gets rid of smoke odors too.

Try it.....you'll like it! Works like a charm. This should end any issues about mustiness, etc. Not worth anyones time to complain about this issue in a tropical country & we have been around the world.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 17:32
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
108 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Thanks for the info--I never thought about the vents! Febreeze has been added to my packing list!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

If you've never tried Febreeze before, I'd politely suggest you try it at home first.

There's something in it that REALLY disagrees with both my father-in-law and I; it gives both of us a very stuffy nose and sore throat. Neither one of us are the type that are usually allergic to anything. Ironically, my mother-in-law who has all sorts of allergies (e.g. hayfever) has not problem with Febreeze at all - so go figure!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Good suggestion to try at home first.........I love Febreeze, luckily have no allergic reactions to room sprays of any kind............most of them would do the trick....you could try a scented candle as well, for atmosphere as well as scent.............lots of places sell travel candles in metal containers with lids, just for this reason......................

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Think I'd rather have the musty smell.... Absolutely cannot stand the smell of FebreZe lol

Fruitland, Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

When I travel I always take a glade candle, We love them and they have so many scents that help with any odors. It will fill the whoe room with scent also it's nice when you are out on your patio to have a little light when having a drink or two...... :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

I think Febreeze is very perfumey (and I actually love perfume) myself, so not a fan. In fact, that "musty" smell you get all over Mexico - well, I kind of love. It's kind of a "familiarity" smell, I suppose. As soon as we land, I take a deep breath. And when I get home, I can smell it on my clothes and I sigh, cuz it's sad that I'm home.

Ok, well, anyways - I imagine it might not be as pleasant for anyone else. I've heard of others bringing plug-ins too.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

YES, we always take two little scented candles. One for the room and one for by the jacuzzi.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

I can't stand febreeze either, but then again I have very bad allergies and can't handle/stand anything that is scented. Oddly enough, I am very allergic to mold but the musty smell in Mexico doesn't bother me at all...I am with you ZsaZsa - miss that smell when I get home!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
645 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

I bring a small gel deodorizer and extra dryer sheets to reduce any odor (if any). Sometimes there is no musty smell at all but I keep the gel deodorizer anyway and when we go home and I smell it, the smell takes me back! Double benefit.

glade.com/en-US/…decor-scents.aspx

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Musty room smells....Solutions!!!!!

Sorry to be a bummer but it makes me uneasy thinking that hotel guests are burning candles in their rooms. I know we are all adults but candles are putting others at a potential risk. The thought of being in a hi-rise with a fire below makes me quite paronoid! lol Sometimes they even re-ignite after we are sure they have been snuffed. Please oh please, think of another solution!