We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

My wife and I have been at Secrets Maroma Beach since Friday march 30. The trip had been going fine, but the events of tonight have seriously diminished my respect for the resort and it's management. I'd read about corporate groups here, and I understand how resorts must rely on these groups. I was prepared for restaurant closures to accomdate those groups, so we knew to ask ahead more than one night to ensure we didn't get shut out of places we wanted to eat.

But tonight was just misery. Some group had an event on the beach, and the entertainment has persistested until past 11:20pm. Not just people talking loudly, but amplified music, an mc and some kind of drum line. At first, I thought it was people on the balcony next to ours. I mean they might as well have been there.

Multiple calls to the front desk were met with comments like "well, they are having a good time". Really?

We have been here before, and have never been disturbed by persistent noise so loud that we were unable to block it out, even with earplugs.

Sorry SMB, I hope that event was profitable. I know we weren't the only ones calling, and I hope others besides us walk with their feet.

My wife and I work our butts off to be able to take relaxing vacations. We get up to work at 5:30am every day,so for us, a 10pm bedtime is really late. I don't expect silence, or others to be mouse like quiet, but blasting music and drums this late at this type of resort is really unacceptable. Not what we signed up for.

I've already told the front desk manager I want to speak to the resort GM tomorrow before we check out. I'll post a reply on how they choose to deal with it then, because their first offer now was to change our room,which makes lots of sense when we are in bed, trying to sleep, and leaving in less than 10 hours.

I'm sure some will flame me, but other nights there were wedding parties by the pool, and while we could hear the music from those events, it was never so loud, so late that we couldn't fall asleep, or be worken up from the noise. This was so loud that it was like they were in our room.

I'm really steamed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

And yes, I know it is its management, not it's management...dang autocorrect

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

This resort didnt plan around "your" schedule? You were kept awake 1 night until 11:20, the horror!!!!! I would contact the President of Mexico if I were you!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

I dont want to flame you, but you kind of have to expect this at resorts, whether it be weddings, corporate events, etc.

I guess I'm wondering what you expect them to do about it when you check out..? If they had to compensate every noise complaint they get..well they just dont.

If you want a quiet relaxing vacation, maybe next time think about staying at a boutique hotel or renting a condo, rather than going to a big resort that will have tons of people, and tons of noise that comes along with those people.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

You should have gone and crashed the party and had fun...

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

Not a flame comment but this would hardly classify as MISERY now would it. I am sure you had a very nice vacation there ? On your last night misery sets in are you looking for free nights or ???

Greater London...
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

let's hope your'e flight home is quiet and uneventful so you will arrive stress free/

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

Hotels are there to make money. Period. When you travel, nothing is guaranteed, just go with the flow. If your goal is to get a free vacation, then go ahead and complain your head off. Good luck with that.

"Life is what goes on around you when you are busy making plans".

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

11:20 is really not all that late when you are on vacation. What time did the party end? I have to agree with the others.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

Well, I have to disagree that you should just expect this kind of thing at resorts. Especially when Secrets says (right from their website): "Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun offers adults an extra measure of romance and sensuality in an exquisite luxury setting. "

We've been to Secrets Maroma 2x & had similar incidents both times (corporate events & wedding parties). I definitely wouldn't call that type of setting either romantic or sensual.

We've also had similar "group" noise at other resorts (i.e. Royal Playa del Carmen, the former Aventura Spa Palace), but they don't/didn't claim to be romantic getaways either, like Secrets does.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Misery at Secrets Maroma Beach, live

I think you are totally over-reacting & out of luck. Ask yourselves, if you were the hotel management, which complaint will cost the most in repeat business. One person complaining about a party that closes down before midnight or a corporate head that complains that his group had no nightly entertainment? I wonder too, why a schedule of getting up at 5:30 am & early to bed at night (we do the same) makes you think the curtain drops for everyone else? Repeating what you do at home seems rather mundane & tempting just to stay home.