We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Questions Updates?

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
280 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Top Questions Updates?

I see a lot of posters tell others they should look at the "top questions" section on the right-hand side of the page instead of just answering their questions. I was just reviewing this section and there seems to be a wealth of info, but a lot of the info is not current. For example, the questions on currency is dated 2010. When or how is this info updated?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Questions Updates?

What is your question about currency? I just read the info listed and it seems very up to date.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Questions Updates?

The question is not about currency, i think your missing the point. The question is "When or how is the information in the top questions section updated?"

Edited: 10 April 2012, 00:06
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Up dating is probably a little hit and miss but much of the info is timeless. Mordida is a for ever thing as is use pesos a forever thing. Use ATM's and not travelers checks is a bit more recent. Go and have fun is a time less thing.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Questions Updates?

The OP stated they thought the currency info was out of date. I was just asking what their question was about currency. The information is updated when someone takes the time to update prn.

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
280 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Questions Updates?

I wanted to review some of the "top questions" about when/where to exchange currency. Back when the standard conversion, in shops and stores, was 10 pesos to 1 USD (2010) then yes it would make a lot of sense to exchange money. Especially since the daily conversion rate was around 12:1. You would lose around 20% if using USD. But I just read a post that stated that some of the shops and stores were now using a 12 to 1 conversion. Since the daily rate is now around 13:1 it wouldn't make sense to exchange. The fees at banks and cambios would make exchanging money even less advantageous wouldn't it?

The currency exchange info would probably need updated if it is true stores were now using 12:1.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,504 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Erat, the Top Questions are put there by the DEs. It is a volunteer function.

If you think that a topic is grossly in error (not a date issue), then you can certainly create a post that updates the info and suggest that a DE substitute it for the current info.

Just because the original post was in 2010 does not make the essence of the post worthless. Stuff does change and expecting to have any change updated as it occurs is unrealistic. In some cases, people just need to be able to adapt.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Coloradowanderer started the Top Questions. She asked me to help but I declined and said I would rather answer the questions as they came. CW is gone from this forum. I know how much work she did on that format. I'm still reticent to tackle an update when I was against the idea to begin with.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,430 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Top Questions can also be bumped by any poster to keep it up to date

So just post on one of them that you want more uptpdate info and you jhelp everyone

I built / rely on TQ in the Akumal questions because we were getting daily / weekly questions on maps and emails

When I see a good thread that should be book marked / tagged, I replace existing ones with the new one

OT gives great advice - I could never had his patience (not yet)

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Vancouversund: I just quickly checked the first two posts reguarding safety under the top questions and both posts have been closed to inactivety.

Your a destination expert and you don't know this??

Edited: 10 April 2012, 04:41
Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top Questions Updates?

Inclinefreak please dont attack the DE's. This is voluntary and if you would like one of us to update the TQ then you need to ask for an update. I as a DE never look at the TQ's. I as OT3 just answer as I feel fit :)