We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Hi everyone. My fiance and I are thinking about booking this hotel for our honeymoon next April. I have read on trip advisor about a refurbishment programme due to happen this year but I can't find any details of this? I have asked the Thomas Cook travel agent but she didn't know about it either.Nor can I find out anything on the Riu website?Does anyone know about any refurbishment plans or where I can find out about these? Many Thanks

Claire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Here is the info found on another board:

We are pleased to announce that the RIU Palace Mexico will undergo a complete remodelation in Fall 2012 - the hotel therefore will be closed from August 20, 2012 until November 30, 2012. Re-Opening will be on December 1st, 2012

riubambu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15813

There are a couple of threads discussing the renovations.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
6,032 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
birmingham uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Thanks for that!!!

lancs
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

We stayed at the RPM last May and I cant believe it says they are giving it a modern feel. I loved the look of the hotel as it was.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

I've seen pictures of the two rooms they've re-modeled as show rooms, one a regular jr suite and the other a jacuzzi suite. Both lots of black and white, very modern, very cold. Planned to go back for the re-opening Dec 1 but not sure now. It's supposedly going to be priced higher than the RPRM.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Oh dear, why change a good thing. I can go to any city centre hotel near where I live and see rooms like that. Hope they dont touch the wonderful lobby and reception.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Hi my husband and I are going to the rpm 20.07.12 2 days time reading the reviews it sounds like the hotel looks very old and people saying it has a musty smell would be grateful for some information

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Some say the lobby smells but IMHO it hasn't since they stopped smoking, especially cigars, there a few years ago. Some of the ground floor rooms might have a humid vegetation smell, similar to what you smell when you walk off your plane in CUN, but that can be expected when you're in the tropics. Ask for a middle or top floor room, we've never had an issue when in them. As far as old is concerned some of the wood in the rooms is showing some wear and tear which you'd have to expect after 14 years. They put in new mattresses and flat screen tvs a couple years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
8. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2012, 13:58
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

Ah thank you everyone you have put my mind at ease I'm sure we will love it it is our third time in Mexico we stayed at thevriu cancun and the elder ado royal riviera Maya loved both hotels but we have heard plada del carmon is more Mexican and has beautiful beaches

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
10. Re: Riu Palace MEXICO, Playacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:16