We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West hartford, CT
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

Hi,

I just got back from 2nd time at the Excellence in Riveria Maya and we're looking for a new place to go next year. All-inclusive adults only (not just couples) in either Riveria Maya or Playa Del Carmen. Would like a great beach with no lounge hassles, great pools(yes more than one), good restaurants with no required reservations (and not closed on a rotating basis w/other restaurants at resort) and possibly close to small shops and Buffet that is open for dinner. I know I'm asking for the world. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lisa

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

Here's my list of all the four and five star adult only resorts from Cancun to Tulum. Not all of them fit your criteria - for instance, I know the Valentin Imperial closes its a la cartes on a rotating basis, albeit with notice to their guests, and they don't have a buffet. I believe the Iberostar Grand has a dinner buffet but you have to make reservations at the a la cartes. I guess you're just going to have to figure out where you can make the compromise.

Anyway, here's the list:

Aventure Spa Palace

Bel Air Collection - technically not adults only as they allow kids over the age of 12 but it’s a very adult-oriented resort and sure doesn’t look very kid-friendly

Blue Diamond by Bluebay – appears to have opened very recently (February 2012?). 128 rooms.

Catalonia Royal Tulum -only rated 3.5 stars but has a great beach and many repeat guests

Desires - a “lifestyle” resort – aka swingers

Desires Pearl – also a “lifestyle” resort. Scheduled to open March 2012; formerly Ceiba del Mar (Puerto Morelos).

El Dorado Maroma

El Dorado Royale – sand whales at beach???

El Dorado Seaside Suites

Excellence Riviera Cancun - no wrist bands, no reservations required for dinner.

Excellence Playa Mujeres – north of Cancun - no wrist bands, no reservations required for dinner.

Golden Parnassus – I would exercise great caution with this one. I’ve seen posts from people who’ve been bumped from here to the Great Parnassus, a NON adult-only resort. I would guess that this only happens during high season but don’t know that for sure.

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso – many repeat guests. Wristbands required as are reservations for dinner. Guests of the Grand also have access to the neighbouring Iberostar Playa Paraiso resorts (Beach, Lindo and Maya) which are kid-friendly.

Le Blanc – zen-like and peaceful but close to clubs etc. in Cancun.

Live Aqua – similar to Le Blanc in that it’s zen-like and peaceful but well located for clubs etc. in Cancun.

Ocean Maya Royale by H10 – changed to adult only on May 1, 2011

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla – 294 rooms, 45 minutes from the airport, close to Playa del Carmen.

Royal in Cancun

Royal Hideaway – located in Playacar

Royal Playa Del Carmen – easy walking distance to all the bars, clubs and restaurants of Playa del Carmen.

Royal Yucatan – part of the Grand Palladium complex. This section is adult only but the rest of the GP complex is kid-friendly.

Secrets Maroma Beach – fabulous beach, allegedly the BEST in the area

Secrets Capri – 290 rooms – 5 minutes from Playa del Carmen, 35 minutes from the airport.

Secrets Silversands – 433 rooms – five miles south of Cancun and twenty minutes from the Cancun International Airport. Sandy part of the beach is OK but the seabed has sharp rocks.

Sun Palace

Valentin Imperial Maya 540 rooms - 20 minutes or so north of Playa del Carmen and about 20 minutes from the airport (closest town = Puerto Morelos). Mixed beach – great sand but some ironshore (rocks at the water’s edge) so you can’t swim just anywhere. Some nightlife but generally fairly subdued. Absolutely NOT a party resort. No wristbands, no reservations for dinner; dinner is all a la carte (but there are two themed buffets per week).

West hartford, CT
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

thanks

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

I would shoot for Secrets Silversands or Secrets Maroma Beach. You will not be disappointed.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

I have been digging the looks of the El Dorado. What is the reference to sand whale?

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

A sand whale is basically a huge bag (about the size of a whale, hence the name) that is filled with sand and buried in the sand on the beach. A resort that has problems with erosion will have these on the beach to help slow down the erosion. Inevitably, the sand around these bags does erode away, making the "sand whale" visible. They certainly can take away from the beauty of the beach.

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

It depends if you want a small or large resort....All the El dorados are nice...El dorado casitas are lovely...personally we like the smaller resorts so we are going to El dorado maroma for 5th time...it has the best beach of all the el dorados by far. no reservations required at dinner...all a la carte...no buffets except breakfast or you can do a ala catre...no reservations required....it is only 100 rooms so if you want quiet and relaxation and available beach beds all the time...its the place....if you want a larger "party" atmosphere you would be better going to one of the other el dorado resorts such as seaside or the casitas.

West hartford, CT
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

thanks

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

We stayed at Silversands a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. It is more modern with alot of chrome so you don't have the mexican decor. Music every night by the pool for dancing, shows ok and al la cart restaurants good. The only one I didn't care for was the Japanese, food was too salty.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

All of the AI all adults I've been to close their alacarts on a rotating basis. If you can afford it, go to the Grand or SMB. SSS left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm a Secrets lover.

VIM was great. I don't think you can go wrong there. Didn't care for the El Dorado. Sailed by the beach whales - I can pass on them. What about EPM?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All-Inclusive Resorts Adults Only

Great list. Llisa.